Saturday, March 9, 2019

Cavalry for 30mm Wargames

      A while back I bought some gilt painted cavalry figures to use with 40mm wargames. After getting them,  I realized that they were closer to 30mm to 35mm. Still, as my 40mm armies were to be "toy soldier" armies, the difference in scale wasn't going to bother me.

      However, I have been working towards using 30mm Swedish African Engineer figures for my next project. I think the cavalry figures will work fine with the SAE miniatures. They are a little larger than SAE cavalry figures, but not much that they would distract from the game. Looking at the classic wargame  book, "CHARGE!" by Peter Young and J.P.Lawford, it seems they ran into the same scale problem with their cavalry. So if it's good enough for these two wargaming pioneers, it's good enough for me.

The lot of gilt cavalry. I did a posting on them when I first received them.

The cavalry next to a 40mm figure.


The gilt cavalry next to SAE figures. While the SAE is smaller than the gilt, it's a difference I can live with.

I have been trying to figure out the make of the gilt cavalry. It seems the different British manufacturers all painted some of their figures gilt, so that didn't help me in my search.

6 comments:

  1. The Gilt cavalry are made by Britains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know that Johillco and Reka also painted many of their figured gilt. They also seem small for Britains. No matter, I will continue to look for more of them.

      Delete
  2. They look good with the infantry to my eye - are they all hussar and dragoon types?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some lancers too. In the first picture on the the right, those are the lancers (without lances!). When I took the comparison pictures I meant to grab one of each cavalryman, however, in my hurry I grabbed two hussars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they do. I especially like them as they probably are Britains. I want the games to look like a cross between Little Wars and Ross MacFarlanes games.

    ReplyDelete