Sunday, October 2, 2022

Preparing for Campaign

 Being  rather bored, I started thinking of trying to work on a game using 30mm semi flats. One thing I would like to work into it is using wagons for supply. 

I have several wagons, a couple that need some repairs. Superglue was used to tack the wheels to the hubs. Hopefully I can make more permanent  repairs  later. The horse trails must be reattached  on a couple of the pieces.

One pleasant surprise that I hadn't realized  before that an ammunition  wagon had a hinged top, allowing for access to the inside.

My Collection of wagons. If one looks closely at the second wagon, the front wheel is off it's  hub. For now it has a temporary  repair.

The wagons with some 30mm soldiers for scale.

2 soldiers working on preparing the wagons for campaign.



14 comments:

  1. The wagons look like they have seen hard use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these figures have seen hard use. Of course most of them are. Probably 100 years+ so I guess they've earned their looks.

      Delete
  2. Quite a collection of wagons you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Sometimes you do luck out in this hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charming models and figures with a well battered and play worn patina. Even a broken waggon can be a gaming scenario for all ages - “Wheel Meet Again” from Peter Laing enthusiast the late Stuart Asquith
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2019/11/17/wheel-meet-again-a-tribute-ancients-game-for-stuart-asquith/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wagon scenario would make a good scenario, especially as right now I don't have a wargame table to use the wagons the way I would like to.

      Delete
  5. Some lovely wagons John! I do hope they see action in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have them at lease on the table for eye candy. I will need a much larger table to use the as true supply wagons.

      Delete
  6. One can not have too many wagons (or carts, trucks, any logistic elements, really). I like your transport fleet so far...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dream is to be able to use them to supply my armies with at least ammunition, where every volley would deduct from the supply wagons. I do like the looks of games with wagons and caissons on the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the notion. Robert Louis Stevenson's campaigns used such a system - an ideal in my view.

      Delete
    2. Both H.G.Wells Little Wars Appendix and Stevenson's rules used supplies to keep the armies in the field. How to make rules work in smaller spaces is te question.

      Delete
  8. I have always thought it a shame no one has much regard for logistics on the wargame table. I think your idea is great and I would love to see the report on such a battle. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading about early wargames, logistics was taken into consideration. Perhaps because manufacturers made nice wagons to go along with their toy soldiers. Plus quartermaster generals just don't have the glamor of the heroic front line generals.

    ReplyDelete