Saturday, November 7, 2020

New Portable Wargame Board

    Like many wargamers, I am constantly looking for new ways to play games. With the loss of my "library",  space to wargame is limited. Having portable wargames is a good answer to gamers with limited room to game.

   One idea that intrigued me was using  magnetic playing pieces on a board mounted on a wall. In the past I've read of naval wargames being played on such a board, and battles even being played on refrigerator doors.

   Recently, I saw travel games with magnetic playing pieces. I was going to buy a travel chess set, but then came across another game, "Orthello", which has a green board squared off with 8X8 squares. At work I came across thin magnetic strips with words printed on one side, which had been discarded. They make idea stands for smaller figures. I haven't decided which figures to mount on them, although 10mm Scruby figures are light enough that they stay on the board when tipped upside down. I am planning to work on two small armies for the board. Such a setup can be used on my laptop desk while watching TV with the wife.

10mm Scruby's on the playing board.

The field of battle. The board folds in half with storage underneath for playing pieces and dice.



11 comments:

  1. What an excellent idea! I’ll have to look out for a magnetic Othello board and try this idea myself.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found mine on Amazon Smile.It cost a little more than the chess sets, but I liked the green board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used one of these for a while now and it has become my go to travelling system (with Irregular Miniatures 2mm blocks). For rules I use either The Portable Wargame (quick death version) or DBx. You're never alone when you've got an Orthello board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of using my 2mm irregulars with this board, or possible 6mm figures. However, when starting a new project I like using figures I haven't used before; the figures tend to be my goto figures when using that project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea and it is a good reuse of cast aside materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the magnets, I did get a small board that they were used on. I was going to use it until I saw this game. I am holding onto the board though. It might come in handy later.

      Delete
  6. Some excellent scrounging and recycling. My card bases for OOHO Airfix and 15mm Laings etc are on scrapped mounting board squares from past exhibitions and displays at work that were being thrown in the wastebin or recycling. I asked and was allowed to take a whole box file or two home. Upcycling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like most frugal wargamers, I am always looking for bargains and find myself wondering if trash can be used in my games.

      Delete
  7. That's a great looking board John and perfect for the Portable Wargame!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I have some ideas for terrain to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete