Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween No Brain Wargame

I had a couple of hours of free time, and decided to get a quick game in. Halloween being my favorite "holiday", I decide to use my Caesar Undead and Goblin armies.

The two Halloween armies facing off.

The Goblins

The Undead

The armies closing in. The goblins are armed with "grenadiers",  some of the goblins seem to be armed with hand grenades.

The goblins lob grenades (or "pots") at an undead unit, killing one and making another retreat.

Every time the undead close with the goblins, the goblins fall back.

The goblins keep retreating, only to form again for the attack.

One specter manages to hold off a unit of goblins by himself.

The undead slowly are being whittled away. The undead just can't seem to kill any goblins.

another pot attack kills two undead.



The battle is reaching a critical stage. The undead general, Red Skull, plunges  into the  middle of the goblins.

The Red Skull attacks the leader of the goblins (the grey goblin).

The grey goblin falls back. During this game the goblins were constantly getting retreats, and losing very few dead.  Somewhere during the game I started imagining the small goblins quickly darting in, trying to land blows, and falling back before the undead counterblows.

The goblins then kills one of the undead with Red Skull, who then wisely falls back.

Red Skull orders a retreat.

 

6 comments:

  1. Those Caesar figures are very nice, I could fancy a box or two of them.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are nice figures; the undead I bought two boxes of. I'm not really into fantasy, but these figures are fun figures and I find myself using them more than I planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good fun game John - but a Rules challenge - how do you kill the undead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How, indeed? Now you know why I call them "No Brain Wargame"! I started thinking the same thing while writing the report.

      Delete
  4. The Goblin "grenadiers" are a strange figure (I guess they are meant to be throwing rocks??) - your grenade idea is rather fun. To make them less lethal to the enemy I would be tempted to have a chance of a Goblin Grenade blowing up before it could be thrown (Goblin technology being cunning but perhaps a bit unreliable?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There seems to be two different styles of grenadiers. On one of the figures, whatever he is throwing seems to have a fuse on it. As for the usage in my game, it counted as a ranged weapon (2 spaces), but was treated as any other ranged weapon; one dice for each grenadier. If they were stones, it would be treated as the same as a grenade. With these rules I try not to complicate the game.
    In one earlier game I played using NBW rules and WW2 figures, the grenadier figures counted as regular infantry, unless the grenadier got to the adjacent square, then he rolled two dice.
    Your comment has me thinking of making up rules for one game; if the rule adds to the game they could be added it could be added to the rules as "optional rules" for the period played.

    ReplyDelete