Friday, October 23, 2020

Ideas for Future Projects

     In the last couple of months, I have had little time for wargaming. While reading Stuart Asquith"s Scenarios for the War of 1812, he recommended "Rocket's Red Glare", published by The Canadian Wargamers Group. I found a copy of it for a reasonable price, so I purchased it.This book also has a quick recap of the war and tactics used. It also has 14 scenarios, including 4 naval scenarios. They are different enough from Mr. Asquith's scenarios to make it a volume worth having.

   I bought some semi flats that. were on Ebay for several months. I already have some of these figures; I decided to buy these with the goal of painting them. It is a project started, and then set aside.

    While doing little for  my blog, I do still follow several blogs daily. Two of them have really caught my attention.Wargaming with 54mm Toy Soldiers and Tradgardland . Both of them have been gaming using late 19th century American style militia, a subject that I have great interest in. Anyone with an interest in colorful uniforms would find the American militias of the19th century worth researching.  With that in mind, I bought a couple of lots of old Britain's West Point figures, with the idea of using them as militia. I haven't quite worked out my plans yet, although several of the figures are missing arms. I have two molds with various arms that I can use with these figures. I also had an old figure that I build up a larger shako onto the figure,  that I was planning to make a mold out of. Another of the figures is a one piece figure, with the right arm cast onto the figure; this figure will be held as a possible mold master.  

New semi flats for painting.


The Arm molds

The two figures for possible mold making.




My copy of "Rocket's Red Glare"

One of the lots of Britains

The second lot, bought to experiment on.



12 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting read John. The Britain's figures are very nice. The grey and white uniform is really smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books are good beginners guides to getting started in the War of 1812. As the West Point uniforms are supposedly based on War of 1812 uniforms, they are a good starting point for militia uniforms.

      Delete
    2. Winfield Scott's Brigade wore grey uniforms in the 1814 Niagara campaign, due to shortages of the regulation blue. Their steadiness under fire led a British officer to remark, 'Those are regulars, by God!'
      So you could use these figures to portray certain regulars or militia.
      I think the West Point uniform may perhaps commemorate Scott's Brigade. The modern WP shako is different from that worn in the later War of 1812, which had a false front not unlike the British 'Belgic' 1812 pattern shako.

      Delete
    3. I don't go into the Scott's Brigade because there are people who dispute that that's why West Point still wear those uniforms. during the War of 1812, cadets wore plain grey coats and round hats. Perhaps it is true; I think it is so believed that the Army itself supports this story. Either way, it is a smart, if antiquated uniform (which, by the way, I hope they will continue to wear.) As of the shako, that's why I built up one a figure if I decide to do 1830's figures. If I do post Civil War militias, the shakos on the figures could be used.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing what you do with your damaged figures. I too have been enjoying the two 54mm blogs that you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to get some casting done soon, where hopefully I can get an idea of which arms will work with the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great figures and very much looking forward to seeing what you do with them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep picking them trying to decide where to go with the project. Of course with my limit space for gaming, there is. no rush to get the project completed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find John. Looks like a really interesting book about a war that is not often written about nor wargamed.
    I look forward to observing progress on your figure 'refurbishments'.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rulebook is a good book for someone wanting to game the War of 1812. I lucked out and found a reasonably priced "buy it now" copy on Ebay. Otherwise, it tends to be a pricy volume to buy.
    Hopefully I will have some time soon to devote to the project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess the semi-fats are Schneider figures?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, however, I think Schneider were home casts and were larger than 30mm. I do wish they were home casts; it would give me another mold to try to find!

    ReplyDelete