Thursday, June 6, 2019

Wargame News; First the Good News...

   BORE WAR-NING!  Before going on vacation, I had ordered two Airfix molds from Germany; copies of old Schnieder cavalryman and horse molds. I also found Frying Pan and Blanket Amalgamated's address and sent for a list of their figures, and found on Ebay of 54 old Wargamer's Digest that I bought.

   The molds were to arrive the day we left on vacation. They didn't arrive.

      When we got back from vacation, the molds were in the mailbox, along with a week's work of mail and an infestation of ants mixed in the mail. First sign of the ants is when my wife pulled the mail out and screamed and threw the mail across the lawn. After sorting through the mail and clearing the ants off it, I found the return letter from Frying Pan & Blanket Amalgamated. The letter informed me that they no longer take orders. As I had decided to use these figures for my War of 1812 project, I found myself back to square one with that project. When I entered the house my magazines had arrived. My stepson had stopped by the house and found the box and  brought them in. Unfortunately, that week we had drenching rains, and the box sat outside during them. When I opened the box, the rain had soaked through the box and the seller had just put them in the box with no wrapping on them. I had to use the spare room as a drying room for the magazines that were soaked through, hoping that the magazines wouldn't turn to paper mâché.

  I was somewhat disappointed with the cavalryman mold, as it showed on the illustration that among the different heads were dragoon heads. However, instead there are several heads with late 19th century caps and no dragoon helmets. Also to put the plug heads on, I need to drill holes in the body, a tricky proposition for me with my shaky hands. Still, it might be a helpful mold in my 40mm projects.

    One plus is I got a copy of the first war-game magazine I every owned. I bought it new at the local hobby store. Unfortunately, I lost the magazine during different moves. I am looking forward to reading it again.


Wet magazines in the "drying room". Luckily the pages didn't stick together and they all seem readable.



The copy of the first wargame magazine I ever owned. One of the main reasons I bought the lot.

One reason I loved this particular magazine were the maps drawn for the article on Quatre Bras. When I got bored in school (which was often) I would draw up battles using the little slash regiments as shown in the photo.

After looking at the magazine, I now think that maybe these maps are why I like my 2mm block armies.



The Airfix illustration of the cavalry figure, and the actual casting.

In this picture, I have drilled out the plug hole and attached 2 lancer heads. They should be useful figures.


12 comments:

  1. Glad to see that your Wargamer's Digest were not completely ruined. I made a bid on that lot too to fill in some missing issues from my collection but you beat me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that. Nothing is worse than winning an auction and finding out another wargamer you know also wanted it. It was happening so much with Peter Laing figures, i would contact other collectors to see if they were bidding on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! To the highest bidder goes the spoils.

      Delete
    2. As i already have some old WD, I might try to find the duplicates; perhaps your missing copies will be among them.

      Delete
    3. That would be terrific! I will make a list of some of the MIA issues.

      Delete
  3. Interesting collection of magazines John - I'm glad they weren't ruined by the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to start going through them. I still haven't had the time to sit down and start reading them.

      Delete
  4. My first purely wargaming magazine was also a Wargamers Digest Vol2 No 1 (I still have it but got rid of several tears worth in the 90's after clipping a few articles.

    I once bought a batch of Airfix and Snieder moulds Schieswig and Franco Prussian wars. The only thing I ever paid for on ebay and never got.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to look that issue up and see what goodies are in it.

    I can just image not receiving old molds like that. Worst possible scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wargamers Digest was my entry into the hobby as well—thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pleasure. I think most gamers don't know of this magazine. Their use of Roco tanks and Airfix infantry is what made me buy my first issue insteeadvof a box of Airfix figures.

    ReplyDelete