Sunday, June 16, 2019

Dry Brushing Miniatures

       In a recent post on Battle Game of the Month, Ross MacFarlane painted some Scruby N gauge figures. As I recently bought a large lot of Scrubys, this post was of great interest to me. When one looks at Ross's paint job, you can't help but be impressed with his work.

    In his post he mentions that he primes the figures white. While on vacation I brought some of my N gauge figures to paint if I had the time. All I did do was get a coat of white primer on them.  In the past when working with smaller figures (15mm and under), I would prime them black then dry brush the colors onto them. With the painted Scruby's they seemed to have have been primed in white, and that's the way I figured I would continue with them. After putting on the primer, I realized just how many spots I missed. It started me thinking of going back to black, as it is easier to see spots I missed.

   I decided to try a few to see if priming black and drying brushing on the main colors. For me this is the best option. I don't have the skill to do the fine detail painting Mr. MacFarlane did with his figures.


The 6 figures on the left were already painted when I received them; the 6 on the right are the figures I primed black then dry brushed on the colors. I find this system easiest for me.

6 comments:

  1. I am an ardent advocate of the black primer method. It works best for me. Quick too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if i'm not doing a "toy soldier" paint job, I will use black for a primer.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr? (don't often get called Mr since I resigned my commission )

    Anyway, my main rule of thumb for painting is that the painter should like the result and preferably enjoy the process.

    However, I will add that most of the detail on mine is an illusion but that is itself a technique learned over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meant to add that your lads will look splendid on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used this method in quite a while. My next project I plan to use this method.

      Delete