Sunday, November 4, 2018

SAE Figure Conversion

   One reason I want to work on sculpting is so I can produce 19th century American militia units. While looking at Battle Game of the Month blog for inspiration, I was trying to decide what scale of figures to use for this project. As I have a sizable collection of SAE 30mm ACW, 30mm would be my next project. While looking at some Kinney Militia cigarette cards, I got the idea of converting some of the figures using "green stuff" instead of trying to create my own. 

    For the first attempt I decided to use a recast SAE British Guards figure. I trimmed down the front of the coat, added "swallowtails" to the back of the coat, converted the boots to trousers, and added epaulettes to the shoulders. I did this hurriedly before leaving for a couple of days. When I got back in town, I threw a quick coat of paint on the figure to see the results.  I am happy with the result; although hopefully with more practice my work will improve. I also have to  make the time to do such work.



SAE figure with trousers, swallowtails, and epaulettes added.

Front view with coat front trimmed off.


Figure with a quick paint job to see the results.  
I'm happy with the result, considering it's my first attempt at conversion using "green stuff".
My next goal is to find my collection of Kinney militia cards, which I have managed to misplace (hopefully I didn't accidentally throw them out!)

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking figure John. A unit of these will look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I do make units, I'll have to make molds of the master figure instead of converting each figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting starting point but looks like it should work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully I will get the hang of green stuff and can do better conversions.

    ReplyDelete