Sunday, November 18, 2018

Original 40mm Sculpture

I wanted to do a practice figure to try to match my Britains 40mm figures. The 40mm Britains don't have combat poses, so I wanted to try to create my own.

Originally I had planned to cut a head off one of the Britains which was wearing a home service helmet. At this point in making the figure, I decided I wanted to make a completely original figure of my own, so a head was added.

Sideview of the figure. The exceptionally long right arm was so I could use it to create the rifle. The head has a skull shape. That wasn't a bit of clever planning on my part; I didn't even notice it until looking at the photograph!

Right arm added. with the rifle and left hand positioned.

I was going to make the figure with an ACW kepi; however I went with a shako. I am thinking of using this figure for a  master.  The shako is larger than used at the beginning of the war. I figure I could file down the shako into different styles of hats, including kepis. As can be seen in this shot, I need to master the green stuff  and learn how to smooth it better.

The figure with ammo box, haversack, canteen and belts added.

Back of the completed figure. The cross belt looks more like a blanket roll!
The completed figure next to one of the Britains 40mm. He needs only to be based.

7 comments:

  1. Great work - are you going to make a mould from the figure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of using the figure for a mold. It could be used as a base figure for other figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. I work a little over several nights so as not to rush too much.

      Delete
  4. Nicely done, John. Hope you get a good casting / mould from this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will have the spare money to order the rubber for the mold.

      Delete
  5. Thank you. After seeing your War of 1812 sculpture, it made me want to attempt my own figure.

    ReplyDelete