Friday, November 23, 2018

20mm Sculpture

First attempt at a 20mm sculpture. It was made in under an hour. The original plan was just to cover the entire armature in putty. At first I was going to try to make the skirt look like a fur; however it started looking like an ancient wrap . 

I took the measurements off this Airfix figure.  The figure is more "animated" than I had planned. After an hour, I liked the look of the figure and decided to stop at this point.

At first I wanted a stone age figure. In this position I could see the figure throwing rocks, or fighting with spears.

Originally I was going to just put a nose for the face and a couple of indents for eyes. While playing with the face, it came out looking something like a barn owl face; I liked the look of it so left it as is. I could  also see it as a Greek style helmet.

If used as a master, it would be easy enough to add shields, armor and swords or other weapons to create new figures. 

I want to create generic figures for "No Brain Wargames".

 An Airfix Indian used for NBW, compared to my figure. I can now see why metal figures tend to be stockier than plastics; the legs can't be too thin as they will be too fragile.

My work tray. I try to assemble a new armature while working on a figure, so as to not slow down sculpting. I have spent over $30 on different tools. However, the tool I have used most are regular toothpicks, which cost $3.50 for 400 of them!

2 comments:

  1. The figure certainly has a very natural and fluid looking pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I think that if the armature comes out right, the figure is easier to sculpt.

    ReplyDelete