Wednesday, September 5, 2018

A New Book on African Tribes and a New Rule for One Brain Wargame

   Since I have started playing No Brain Wargames, I have found myself trying to find out more about tribal warfare. However, instead of starting with native American tribal warfare, which would be easy to find information on, I have been looking for information and the tribes of Africa. I did buy one book, "The African Wars: Warriors and Soldiers of the Colonial Campaigns" by Chris Peers.  What's good about this book is that he tells of the tribes involved in the various Colonial wars and how the war affected them, with little on the Colonial forces. It is a good book (so far). I was hoping that there would be more on the earlier history of the tribes; however, as the tribes had no written records, most of what's known of the tribes are from European explorers. There are some descriptions of tribal combat, which is the main reason I wanted the book.  Still, it has been a good read. I did find a couple of titles that have interested me; however, to buy them in book form, the books run around $100.00 each. I have found them in digital form for around $25.00. I will wait toes after the current book has been read.


    I was also thinking more about the NBW rules.  I started thinking that having two "retreat" on each dice might make for a more fluid game. Over the weekend I played two games, and I think increasing the chances of retreating makes for a more exciting game.
 

Hopefully adding another "Retreat" to the dice roll will make for a more fluid game.

2 comments:

  1. The extra retreat certainly sounds appropriate for this sort of warfare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make the game more fluid. I have started thinking of how to determine injuries and fatalities for a campaign game. I also think using hex terrain will make the game closer to tribal warfare.

    ReplyDelete