Sunday, September 16, 2018

2 Wargames and a Break

     I have done little in the way of gaming. I have tried to start several projects, without success. I also was going to try out Travel Battle, but once again couldn't muster the interest in prepping the figures for the game. I did try a game using the Travel Battle board for gaming, using Risk figures. It didn't play out well. My fat fingers kept knocking the figures over.
     I started reading Osprey's "The Men Who Would be Kings". It sounds like a good set that one could have individual heroes.  I was thinking of using my Peter Laing Colonials for this, but realized that I don't have enough Colonial cavalry or Native troops (save Zulus) to play the game.
     I found myself going back to my 2mm figures, which I managed to have an enjoyable game.

  I find myself in a situation where I have accomplished nothing with my gaming, and what games I play are enjoyable to me, but offer nothing to my blog. I therefore will take a break from my blog until I have something that might be of interest to the few followers of my blog.

Using Risk figures with Travel Battle board.





The 2mm game using my ACW armies. The game is in the advanced stages. I wasn't going to take any photos of this game, until the Confederates manged to cut off one Union unit (in the foreground).

The Union unit in the foreground managed to hold off the Confederates attack.

The surviving Union unit takes shelter in the woods. Meanwhile the rightmost  Union unit launches a bayonet attack to try to reach the cut off Union regiment.

The Union regiments link up.

However, the Confederates launch an all out assault on the woods.

They wipe out the Union regiment in the woods, and drive back the Union reinforcements.


At this point the Union has lost 50% of their forces, and concedes the battle.

I have been thinking of doing more work with my 2mm figures, if for no other reason to keep some interest going with my gaming. I have also thought of possibly buying some more 2mm figures.

8 comments:

  1. Both of these games are of interest to me John. I don't have the time currently to set up and play most games, however small scales might offer the solution - back to 2mm perhaps?

    Were these gridded games?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my limited time, I am going back to 2mm to get gaming in.
    Both games were on gridded terrain; the Travel Battle board is 10 x 10 grids, the 2mm game is 8x8 grids. The 2mm games are small enough to be put in desk drawer that can be set up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Maudlin Jack Tar, I really enjoy your posts and love to see the games played.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I'm flipping through my books and magazines trying to get some inspiration and motivation to get some gaming in. I will continue to play 2mm games until I start another project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are *at least* three of us, plus your good-self who are interested John!
    Since coming late to your blog I have really enjoyed seeing all of the non-mainstream and interesting projects that you try out. Love seeing the 2 mm figures.
    I got some 2 mm Napoleonics with the idea of being able to play a wargame on an aeroplane tray-table! Changes to airline security probably put paid to that one, but the figures remain, with a few more purchased since. I like the idea of using them for a multi-scaled effort. That is, the 2 mm for the grand-tactical movement and then going to larger figures for details of the action.
    It sounds like I'll be seeing some more 2 mm figures in action here which is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last vacation I did bring some of my 2mm figures, terrain and dice along to try to get a game in. However, I never did play.
    The idea of using 2mm with multi-scale games is an intriguing concept. I can see using 2mm for campaign movements; on contact using large scale figures to fight the battles. Losses incurred during battle could be reflected by removing 2mm bases from the campaign map. I could even see mounting 2mm blocks on magnetic tape and having a metal mapboard mounted to a wall for the strategic moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those sound like great ideas to me. Magnetic figures on the wall, how novel!

      Delete
  7. I wish I could claim credit for the magnetic board on wall. I remember years ago reading about someone tight on space using his refrigerator with ships on magnets to fight naval wargames.

    ReplyDelete