Saturday, September 29, 2018

Carving Figures

    While going through some of my old soldiers, I found a figure I carved and casted some 25 years ago. At the time the job I was at was slowly going under, and much of my spare time I would carve little figures out of scrap wood. After I left the company, I continued carving for a hobby.
   This little figure started me thinking of doing some more carving, as I've done little else. I carved two figures today. As my wife and I are leaving to go camping next week, I bought some more wood to take with me.

The  carved man. I'm rusty after 25 years!


I gave the wood man an acorn helmet.

He needed a club, too.




The wood man in a tree hollow.






The wood man guarding a cave entrance.


A giant dragon sniffing out the wood man!

The dragon is scared by the wood man's club and flees!

The wood man, safe for now.


One of the casting from my earlier carving. He was cast in resin.





The back of the figure.






8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. When I started carving him, I had no idea what I was carving. I saw the acorns and was wondering if I could make a helmet for him from one.

      Delete
  2. I have never tried carving anything. Love the acorn man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I've carved. For me it's a slow process; something I've had no patience for many years. I decided to try again, the goal is to learn to take time on a project. I think since I've started using cell phones and computers, I want instant satisfaction.

      Delete
  3. Not bad for first go in so long. (I love the acorn helmet!).

    I suck at carving, too hard to fix mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Unfortunately when I did it as a hobby, my skills didn't improve much. I'm hoping to try my hand with armatures and green stuff when I get home from vacation. As for making mistakes, that's not too bad; I just hate always stabbing myself.

      Delete
  4. Carving is something I've never attempted , like your figure though .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use as sheetrock knife, and a basswood square dowel for the acorn man. As I always say, if i can do it, anyone can. And I'm sure just about anyone can produce a better figure.

      Delete