Saturday, September 8, 2018

Chinese Game Pieces Wargame.


    After receiving my first order of Chinese game pieces, I ordered two more sets. I decided to make two armies using Battlelore style units. Each army would have 2 light infantry, 2 heavy infantry, 6 medium infantry, 1 light cavalry, one medium cavalry, and one heavy cavalry. The only change is the heavy cavalry has 4 horsemen, instead of three.

   Last night I quickly painted the bases for the game: green for light troops, blue for medium troops, and red for heavy units.

   The orange army intends on invading the green nation. However, to do so they must force a pass. The green army is waiting for them. Damn spies!

    I used a simplified set of Battlelore rules.  Also in this game I used arrows to show movement, which will come in handy. For some reason every time I try to add a caption to the picture, the picture jumps to the top of the page! Yellow arrows shows greens movements; red show orange.  Just so you know, the orange army wins the battle, but the army is so battered that it retreats towards home.
The orange army deployed to attack the pass.
The green army deployed, with several units hidden from the green army.































6 comments:

  1. Carl von Clausewitz's remark to the effect that the cost of victory can be such as to compel a retreat seems to hold good here.So an invader must make sure of two things: to retain enough strength ijn hand to see off a counter-attack - and to make sure the costs of the invasion are met by the enemy! The Orange Emperor might be looking with deep suspicion at his entourage, about now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orange emperor planned to keep his heavy troops as a reserve, to be sent in at a decisive moment to break the green army's back. Unfortunately, once deployed, they continued to attack and advance without support from the rest of the army. The orange army should have closed as quickly as possible and tried to bottle up the green army in the pass, where they couldn't maneuver. In the end, the green army had only 5 units left, but 3 were at full strength. The orange army had 9 units, but only 2 at full strength.

      Delete
  2. I am attracted to any game using hexes.
    Excellent report. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back between hexes and squares. Hexes make for a more fluid game. I like the idea of using squares for most wars before 1900, and hexes for more modern warfare. I do think my next tribal game I will use hexes. I only wish I could add comments to the pictures.

      Delete
  3. The Chinese figures are great and those mountains certainly match the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that the Horoscope mountains would be good with these figures. I really would like to try to flock the Heroscape hexes.

    ReplyDelete