Thursday, August 23, 2018

New Ancient Chinese Figures & Vacation Reading

    Shortly before leaving on vacation, while doing a Google search, I came across some nice looking  plastic ancient Chinese  toy soldiers. They are listed as being 1:120 scale.  To me they look like game pieces.  They also had to be ordered through a company in China. I was leery of ordering them. They were also quite expensive; $19.00 for one set. I could only order one set of them (  I wanted to order two). In the end I decided to take the chance and order them.

   When my wife and I went camping we took the dog along. However, being so hot out, and the campsite we stayed at limited what we could do with Jerry, we asked my stepson if he would watch Jerry, to which he said yes. We brought Jerry home, and while there I checked the mail. Way back in the mailbox was a small box from China. I took the box back to the campground to examine the contents that night. I will say that I am happy with the purchase. I received 40 infantry, 10 cavalry and two general figures. I also thought they might be a good match for the Risk plastic Napoleonic figures, which is illustrated below.

    Among the reading materials I brought with me was Bryon Farwells' "Armies of the Raj". I am a big fan of his books, but in the past I couldn't get into this book. I finally got through it and, as always, enjoyed the book. I really can't understand why I waited so long to read it.
My new Chinese ancient figures. I did a quick black wash on the figures to highlight the details.



The back of the figures.

The new Chinese compared to Risk Napoleonic playing pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment