Saturday, August 4, 2018

New Peter Laing Purchase and a "No Brain Wargame"

      Last week on Ebay there were two lots of Peter Laing Colonials that I wanted. One had tribal figures, such as Mahdi infantry and some North-West frontier figures. This lot had several figures that I do not have yet. The other lot was Egyptian infantry and camel Corps figures, including 5 British Camel Corps figures, which I did not have any of. The first lot was won by someone else; however, I really wanted the second lot, which I won (no one bid against me). And so I now have more camel figures to take up more room.

    I also have been working on some simple rules for a simple game. My plan was to add on to my No Brain Wargame. I wrote down the rules, picked two armies, and played a game. The game was OK; however, I just realized that it went from a No Brains game to an Ancients or Medieval game. What I have in mind is two tribes battling it out, not a set piece battle.
      I started going through my Peter Laing figures to come up with two tribes. In the game I want two different figures; one capable of missile fire, the other for close combat. After thinking about it, I went back to my first No Brain Wargame that I originally played close to 20 years ago. I used Airfix Indians, one group painted flesh colored, the others brown. Both sides had the same number of archers and spearmen. They were randomly placed on the back squares of the board, 4 to a square.  Then as before, I rolled two average dice and 2 6D dice to determine who moved first and how many squares of figures could move. I do believe this will stay as my No Brain Game. Nothing original that hasn't been done before.
Some shots of my "improved" No Brain Wargame. It wasn't an improvement.









At the end of a confusing game, both sides ended with equal figures.

How my original No Brain Wargame from 20 years ago looked like. This is before I  started getting a hold of Donald Featherstone and Charles Grant books.

Looking down the line of the "red feather" tribe. So named because their chief has a red feather to mark him.

The "white feather" tribe. The chief can be seen in the from row. I didn't realize that both chiefs were archers. They became chiefs in my earliest games for their bravery.

The tribes close in on each other.

The red feathers fire first, kills one brave and makes another run away.

The white feathers rolls a "3", and closes in for melee.

They kill one brave and drives back two archers.

The red feathers start pushing through the center.

At the top, the red feathers kill one brave and two retreat. Another white feather is killed in the foreground.



One of the white feather chiefs group is killed. The two chiefs are side by side: the red feather chief also has his face painted red, the white feather chief with his white feather. The red feather chief face was painted red, if my memory serves me right, because in one game he went on a killing spree where he killed several enemies single handedly.

Another shot of the two chiefs.

The white feathers starts working around the forward bands of red feathers.

They manage to make several retreat, but only one is killed.

The white feathers continue their attack.

Once again, they drive some red feathers back, but only kills two.

The red feather charge forward...

..and kills five white feathers; another runs from the battlefield!

The red feathers continue their attack.

On their left flank, they surround one band of white feathers.

In the center 2 more white feathers are killed.

The surrounded band of white feathers are wiped out.

The white feather tribe lost 16 warriors, the red feathers only 4. The white feather tribe always had bad luck in these games, almost always losing. Perhaps they need a new chief!

Some of my new Peter Laing Egyptians. I am thinking of using these figures as King's African Rifles for a German East Africa WW1 game.

More Egyptian camel corps figures.

My new British Camel Corps figures.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Peter Laing camels! I have some like this and they are great little figures. The Airfix Indians are very versatile and work well in your tribal game - I had a few painted up as Zulus long ago before the Esci plastics came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After my first games, I bought a few extra boxes of the Airfix Indians so I could have both tribes armed with spears. I never finished that project, but I am thinking of digging them out and making the second tribe. I can see how they would make good Zulus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rods wargaming site a Featherstone gaming veteran has some nice conversions

    https://rodwargaming.wordpress.com/horse-musket/zulu-war/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads up on this blog. I did look at the Zulu War section. I really like his British regiment. This is what I dreamed my Airfix armies would look like. Unfortunately I could never get enough figures to do this. After seeing "Zulu", I did dig out my Airfix Guards and La Haye Saint farmhouse and used them for a Rorkes Drift game (it wasn't a wargame). The Zulus were cheap knockoffs of Giant Indians. Unfortunately for the Brits, they didn't have Chard or Bromshead in command, and were overrun in the first charge!

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, Airfix indians!

    Nice haul of Peter Laings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dug out the unopened boxes of Airfix Indians and found there are only 3 spearmen to a box, which explains why one side has spearmen and the other, tomahawk men. I guess I'll leave the tribes as is. I am already thinking of moving on.
      I am really happy that I got some Guards Camel Corps figures. Now to use them.

      Delete
  5. John, I am really pleased that you managed to win that lot - congratulations on increasing the collection of Laings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I thought I didn't have a copy of the British Camel Corp figure; however looking in past posting I seem to have one. Now I will have to try to find it. Hopefully it is in with my "Masters" figures. I have been trying to keep one of every Peter Laing separated from the rest of the collection. The good thing is now I have enough figures for two British Camel units.

    ReplyDelete