Saturday, August 11, 2018

One more "No Brain Wargame"

      I am preparing for a week vacation camping, the first week vacation I've had in ten months. I have several books that I hope to start reading. I'm also going to put some thought  into which direction my gaming is going this winter. Of course there's no sense trying to plan too much.

     I did get two more No Brain Wargames in. The first I used my Peter Laing Zulus. The second I used my Airfix indians. However, in this game one tribe was trying to raid the other tribes camp, instead of just a battle for fighting sake.  Also, instead of both tribes having the same number of archers and spearmen, I randomly reached into the piles of figures for each tribe and whatever figure was picked was placed on the board. Both sides had more archers than the last game, although I still haven't counted how many archers each side had. This is how I picked the tribes when I first played this game 20 years ago.
The white feather tribe, on the left, vs the red feather tribe, on the right. The red feathers have decided to raid the white feather camp (represented by the chief and female figures on the back line). In most of these games, the white feathers have been defeated. However, there is more at stake in this battle.

The red feathers push the white feathers back. The white feathers move some more warriors towards the front of the camp.

The white feather camp.


The red feathers lose 6 men in one turn. Still, the red feather's contempt for the white feather tribe leads them to continue their attack.


The red's contempt seems justified as they punch though the white's line.

One band of red feathers, led by their chief, is confident in their victory.


The white feathers now move to surround the war band under the red chief.

At this point I almost made a big mistake. I was going to have the 4 white feather archers at the bottom of the picture fight the four braves in front of them. However, it dawned on me that the goal was to wipe out the chief's band. With the loss of their chief, the red feathers would lose the fight.

It was the right move. The archers threw one 6, and three 5's. The 5's count as retreats, but as their retreat is cut off by the two warriors behind them, they count as kills. The entire chief war band is killed. The red warriors lose their morale, and retreat from the field. Right as I took this picture, the batteries died in the camera.

2 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable. I had hoped to do something similar a while ago, but the low head count of spears and bows in each pack made the idea uneconomical. However, you game has inspired me to try it out with some old school 25mm Celts and barbarians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any native type tribe would work fine; as seen in past posting I've used various Peter Laing figures with these rules. Maybe you can take some photos and post on Facebook Table Top Talk.

    ReplyDelete