Thursday, June 13, 2024

Joseph Morchauser Horse and Musket Wargamer

    In Bob Cordery's " The Portable Napoleonic  Wargame", he talks of using Joseph Morchauser's Horse and Musket rules as a starting point for TPNW. He also gives the Morchauser  rules. I haven't play a game using Morchauser rules in many years and these rules seemed like they would give a very quick game so I gave them a try.

   I decided to use my Perry Miniatures Travel Battle game, using one of the boards only. One thing I like about the Travel Battle boards is they are marked on the bottom 1-4 on the sides. The winner of the initiative roll rolled to see which side of the board they would enter on. Red won the toss.

The beginning of the game.  In these rules if a unit takes a hit, it either retreats or is eliminated. I gave each army one elite unit with two elements.

After the first move.

after the first combat. The Red cavalry had attacked the blue infantry on the blue right flank. In close combat, the red cavalry was eliminated. The red elite infantry had refused the right flank, but stupidly exposed it's own flank! Luckily for them they eliminated  the Blue cavalry in the close combat.

The Red elite infantry hits the leftmost blue infantry in the flank. Hit from the front and flank, the Blue unit is eliminated.

The Blue infantry in the woods is eliminated.  The Blue elite infantry manages to destroy one red infantry unit.

The end. The red infantry  is about to fall on the Blue's left flank. The Blue general decides to retreat.
It was a fun, quick game. I think if I do play again, I will use The Portable Napoleonic Wargame.


6 comments:

  1. Nice game John. I like the look of the Travel Battle set. The wooded area is very neat with its removeable tree canopy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice little game. I do have to find the right set of rules to use with it.

      Delete
  2. A great battle report! It reminded me that I have a double-size, painted BATTLE GAME ... and that if it wasnt currently in store, I could be using it during my present confinement.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unaware of Battle Game, but will be looking it up. The fact that Travel Battle was originally a game put together while one of the Perry brothers was in the hospital if I am mistaken, seems like it would be a good game for your situation. By the way, I want to try The Portable Wargame next with Travel Battle.

      Delete
  3. What a great instant battle set up to try out Morschauser rules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This game has a lot of potential for use with other rules.

    ReplyDelete