Sunday, May 5, 2019

Two Wargames

       With the Great Northern Wars Armies nearing completion, I've been finding myself working on odd projects. I did do another wargame using the GNW figures. I wanted to try a couple of ideas from other games to work into my games. One was to limit the number of shots of the artillery, another was infantry units running out of ammunition. The limiting of artillery ammunition  seemed to work; the infantry running out of ammo not so much so.

      I also wanted to get another game in, so I used "The Battle of Hook's Farm" as the basis for the game, and broke out my Peter Laing "Little Wars" army and Boer War British. I used "See the Elephant" rules for this game.


The GNW game in progress. I wasn't going to take photos or mention this game.  However, I did want to mention the rules on ammunition. The rules on the infantry running out of ammunition comes from One Hour Wargames Shotte & Pike rules. I liked how it played out in that game. However, in this game all save one Russian infantry units ran out of ammo early in the game, putting them at a disadvantage early in the game. I would like to work supplies into my games, if nothing else than to use my wagons for resupply.


In this photo, the Swedish artillery supply can be seen. They are down to two rounds. Fortunately, at this point the Swedes had won the battle, so there was no need to conserve ammo.

The battle at the end.


The Swedish cavalry in it's last move nearly drove the Russian cavalry off the field.

The battle of Hook's Farm. The Red army deployed most of their troops towards Firely Church ridge. The Khaki  army had to deploy first, and had spread their forces along the entire line. This gave the Red army the idea to try to turn the Khaki's right flank. In the middle right, by the trees, can be seen some redcoats. This unit was sent forward to harass the Khaki's left.

The Khaki army deploys their artillery on Hook's Hill, and another unit seizes the hovel in the hollow between the two hills.

The Guards grabs Firely Church.

Between the artillery and guards fire, the Khaki's lose 4 men.

The rightmost Guards unit push forward to hit the Khaki's right flank.  On the Red's left, the infantry moves forward to snipe at the Khaki's infantry on that side.

the Guards seize the hovel, and drives off the surviving  Khaki Highlander.

The Khaki's counterattack.


The Guards at the hovel loses two men. The other Guard unit is forced to retreat back to Firely Church.  The Reds Highlanders come up onto Firely Ridge. The Red infantry on the left lost two men and retreated back into the woods.

Another Red infantry unit is at the cottage at the base of Hook's Hill. Between the Red artillery and infantry fire, the Khaki artillery is forced to retreat. Meanwhile, the Khaki infantry loses two men to the Red infantry fire on the left.

At this point, the Red army has a strong force holding Firely Ridge and another fresh infantry unit at the cottage.Besides the Khaki cavalry, the Khaki army only have one infantry unit that hasn't been in the battle. To try to attack Firely ridge would be too costly. The Khaki commanders calls for a retreat.

Both games were enjoyable. I should have a clear idea which rules I'm using and any changes, even for one game, should be written down.

5 comments:

  1. Hooks Farm is THE classic scenario! Army Red vs Army Khaki looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment has me thinking of going through my different wargame books and drawing up plans for other wargames. I still have never fought the Battle of Blasthof Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to try Blastof Bridge too. It might be interesting to fight a Campaign of just classic scenarios

      Delete
  3. Both games look good but I really like your Hook's Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have a long way to go with scenery, however, going up to 2 inch grids gives room for scenery and figures, without crowding. I am thinking of getting scenarios from other classic wargame books.

    ReplyDelete