Saturday, May 11, 2019

On Campaigns

     This week has been an inspiring week for me. On Sunday I was going through a list of different articles made many years ago. While the original article I was looking for could not be found, there was another in an issue of MWAN; " Campaigns for Lazy People".  At the same time several other blogs mentioned a campaign system atNumbers, Wargames, and Arsing About , along with a set of wargame rules. Just a quick glance of this campaign showed me this is the system for my games. What's more, in his reference section he gave a website with some excellent maps of Europe; a great source for wargame maps .

    Needless to say, I decided to use the campaign outline for some battles, using the GNW armies and my own rules. With his rules his board are 6x6 hexes. I used my 9x9 board.

    The battles are made up from Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargame scenarios. The first battle, "Apostrophe Hill", is OHW scenario 4, which just happens to be the last OHW game I used.

    For this campaign, I used the "Simplicity in Hexes" army list for a 6 unit army. However, I also picked 3 unit reinforcements using the same list. This campaign is going to be a three battle affair. The 9 units each army starts with are the only troops they have for the campaign. The first battle will be fought by the first 6 units picked. The next battle the commanders (me) will pick the 6 units, instead of rolling for them. The last battle, all remaining forces may join the battle. Any unit that is wiped out in one battle automatically loses one base. The rest are rolled for to see how many stands return to the colors. The victor of the battle will get back a stand for each 4,5, or 6 rolled.  The loser must roll a 5 or 6 to get stands back.

The invasion begins.



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've actually played out two of the games. So far it's been exciting for me. Hopefully this will lead to more campaigns and end the endless single battles most of my gaming has been.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Its good to finally paint up figures and use them more than once before putting them away to start another project.

    ReplyDelete