Tuesday, February 19, 2019

And Now, a Successful Mold

       It's weird what I think of when I wake up in the middle of the night. This night I woke up thinking of SAE figures and how to use them for Little Wars. There is one line in my first copy of Little Wars: " His fire met my advance, littering the gentle grass slope with dead,..." and next to this line, one of J.R.  Sinclair's margin drawing of what looks like Boer War British infantry charging through a barrage of wooden shells that inspired my next mold. I have some SAE British Colonial infantry that are painted with the traditional red coats and with pith helmets. I decided to try to mold one of these figures that I could paint as Boer War infantry.

    Next day I went to work on the mold using the same procedure mentioned in the last post. Below is the result.
The master after pouring the first half of the mold.

Start of production.

Fresh out of the mold. At this point I would put the mold back together and pour another  casting. Then I cut the pour spout off and return it to the pot; file down the base, and trim any flashing off the figure. By this time the next figure can be removed from the mold.



Some of the casting next to the master.  

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I do believe that if this mold failed I would have kept my mouth shut!

      Delete
  2. Well done, indeed! It must give you tremendous satisfaction to actually cast your own figures - something I've never done and at which I'd probably be hopeless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does make the hobby more fun. As I always say, if I can do it, anyone can.

    ReplyDelete