Sunday, July 29, 2018

Refining "No Brain Wargame"

     I wanted to try to get some gaming in. The first game was based on the Azanian Empire that I found a description of in the book "The Dictionary of Imaginary Places". The Azanian Army marched into the Wanda tribal territory. The game ended quickly with the Wanda tribesmen falling on the Azanian Army and almost wiping it out.

    The second game I decided to play a "No Brain Wargame". Except that there were extra rules added. First, using Neil Thomas' idea of rolling for armies as used in "One Hour Wargames", except that I made my own chart of armies, made up of infantry, archers, and cavalry. When I set up the board, the units were placed as infantry, archers and cavalry, instead of mixed up with different playing pieces in each hex, as in other NBW. Once again I rolled a 6D and average dice for both sides. The 6D was for who got initiative, the average dice for how many squares of figures could move. Any figure that could engage in combat could battle, even if they weren't activated. After the game, I decided to put these rules into writing, as I am getting close to a useful game.



The Azanian Army is being flanked by the Wanda tribesmen. I started taking pictures half way through the game.

The Wandas closed quickly, negating the Azanians firepower superiority.

The Azanians lose heavily.

TheAzan center drives off the Wandas.

The Wanda horsemen wipe out one Azanian unit, and the Azanian general finds himself facing the Wandas by himself. The Azanian army breaks and runs.

The No Brain Wargame. The Sudanese on the left has 3 infantry, 2 archer, and 1 cavalry units. The Arabs on the right have  4 infantry, 1 archer, and 1 cavalry units. In other NBW, the figures would be mixed up randomly. However, at the beginning of the game I was using the army chart I had come up with for ancients and deployed the units as picked.

Sudanese archers kill one Arab spearman.

The Sudanese archers kill another spearman, and another spearman retreats.

Between the Arab archers and spearman, they drive off two Sudanese archers.



The Arabs are losing heavily. On the right of the picture can be seen 3 Arabs who have been forced to retreat  joining together to form a unit made up of an archer and two spearmen.

The Arabs at the top of the photo are losing heavily. Meanwhile the newly formed Arab unit attacks an archer unit.

The Arab center collapses.

The Arabs concede the field to the Sudanese.

After this game, I started writing down the rules as used in this game. I feel that I'm close to having a quick, fun game that provides enough variables that the game will be unpredictable. Of course, now the game is moving out of the No Brain category.

6 comments:

  1. Certainly when short on time, a no brainer can provide entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always good fun thinking up new rule mechanisms and testing them out. Good luck with progressing your NBW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping in the next few days to try them out. Nothing news under the sun with these rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly my kind of game. Looking forward to trying the rules if you decide to publish them for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to try them out this week. If they are useful (in other words, really anything that isn't already out there) I will publish them. They are simply parts of other games mixed together.

    ReplyDelete