Monday, June 4, 2018

Wargaming with Old Risk Figures

     I started thinking of another Chessboard Campaign. Each side would get three cities on their side. Of course the goal was to capture the opposing side's cities. For this game I wanted to use figures that were generic. I came across some old Risk figures. They were from the 40th anniversary addition, which were made of metal This Risk set came out when I first started wargaming. Coincidently, around the same time, I found Chris Salander's set of rules, in which he suggested using Risk figures with his rules.

     I set up the game to try my newest campaign rules. After playing a few rounds, I realized these rules weren't working. However, after seeing the Risk figures on the board, I reset the board and played a quick game using Chris Salander's H&M 2.0.  I really liked seeing these old soldiers back in action. It brought me back to those early wargames.
The green army scores three hits on the blue army.


On the left, the green army captures one of the blue cities.



The blue army recaptures their city.


The green cavalry hits the blue cavalry from two directions.

They manage to push back two of the blue cavalrymen.


The blue army counterattacks and hits the green center.

The green center breaks, and the right city falls to blue infantry.

The blue army has the second green city surrounded and is about to be captured. Green concedes the field to blue army.

13 comments:

  1. A very interesting battle/campaign report.

    I've tried something similar in the past using the RISK:LORD OF THE RINGS map for the campaign and MEMOIR '44 figures, but never thought of using standard RISK figures ... of which I have quite a few. It's certainly given me something to think about.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have the Risk: Lord of the Rings map. That might be a different way to go. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen this version of Risk before - and with metal figures. I recognise the cavalryman and the cannon but the infantry are new to me. the plastic version of this had the infantryman kneeling to receive cavalry but this one is far more useful. I wonder if there was ever a plastic version?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were a plastic version of the infantry, only the metal figures are around 15mm, the plastic figures were around 10mm. I was going to photograph some of the figures I painted at the time; I will try to find some of the plastic figures for comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting idea, John. I have several batches of the 10mm Bicorne figures for RIsk bought in various joblots and off board gaming supply sites in EBay, all still awaiting painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those were another great set of figures. Years ago you could order extra armies directly from Hasbro. Sometimes I wished I used that option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "hrmph, in MY day Risk came with wooden blocks" so yes, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a kid, the pieces were plastic triangles and star shaped pieces. Luckily, for my second childhood, they came up with these neat pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you find the rules? I'm interested in playing them based on your write-ups. I've been trying to make my own rules, but the games you play look like what I'm trying to develop

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rules were Chris Salander's Horse &Musket 2.0 from the old magazine, MWAN #102. He did copywrite the rules, so I find posting them might get me in trouble. If you look at previous post (under "Chris Salander" & "Horse & Musket rules", you might be able to piece together the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ryan Recker, if you can email me at the above address, I will tell you more about H & M 2.0.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way that you are so creative with your wargames John, especially using various figures in different contexts. I have thought often about painting my Risk figures, but have enough others to keep me busy for a while yet...!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could take credit for most of my ideas, but I am inspired by other websites I've been to. Some of the different Risk games have excellent figures, and the price of the game is reasonable.

    ReplyDelete