Sunday, June 17, 2018

A New Book and More Temptation

    Recently I realized that I have been doing little real reading. I spend more time on my cell phone or computer, but spend it  looking up videos. So a couple of months ago I started bringing books to work with me that I read during coffee breaks and my lunch time. I have been reading different books from the Ballentine Illustrated History of the Violent Century, a series of books mainly about WW1 & WW2 from the 1970's.

     May wife was given the OK to go back to work. So she wanted to go strawberry picking two towns over. As I passed right by a used bookstore that has a large collection of the Ballentine books, I was going to pull in to pick a couple more books. When I went to the row where the books are, there were several boxes of new books out. Going quickly through them, it was obvious that the former owner had a great interest in the British Army uniforms from the 19th century, as I do. I couldn't spend much time looking at them, as my wife was out in the hot car (I did leave it running with the AC on). There was one book I couldn't leave behind on the Foot Regiments of the Guard.  Hopefully I will have some spare money that I might be able to pick up some more of these books.
A book I couldn't pass up. Richly illustrated with photographs from the period. 
This picture really caught my attention. I would have imagined wagon drivers of the Guards would be wearing some kind of forage cap. I sure would have loved a Peter Laing set like this photo!


Another great picture that explains the William Britain's Guards wearing bearskins  in combat poses. I was surprised to read that the Guards wore their bearskins during field exercises. It must have truly been brutal in  the summer.


Another (out of focus) photo of a rout march, again wearing bearskins.

Another photo of the Guards on the march wearing bearskins, although a few are actually carrying their bearskins. In the background is a steam tractor, perhaps pulling a trailer with supplies.

The collection of books have several other books with regimental histories and uniforms, including several militia regiments.  There are also books with regimental badges and cloth badges, and one very interesting book showing regimental buttons from all the different militia regiments.  With my wife returning to work, I might pay another visit to the bookstore next Saturday.

5 comments:

  1. Great find - often people say that you shouldn't have Guards in Busbys in firing positions. Now you can on field exercises ... as you say very hot on summer manoeuvres. And as you say, great Peter Laing potential for GS Waggons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wagon pic and one day i'll do a conversion of seated figures just for that. I was never worried about having shooting guard figures as I never envisaged using them for anything less than wargames!

      Delete
    2. Having Guards battling with their bearskins never bothered me, either. I was just surprised that they actually did wear them in the field that late. I suppose part of it was regimental pride. I really have to work my Peter Laing wagons into my games.

      Delete
  2. Marvellous pictures! The juxtaposition of steam tractor and full dress is as Little Wars-ish as one could ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually forgot about the margin illustration in Little Wars of the steam tractor!

      Delete