Sunday, December 10, 2023

One Hour Wargame with Warmaster

 I have been trying to figure a way to use my Warmaster figures without using Warmaster rules. One Hour Wargames seem like a good option, although the lack of retreat rules bugs me. 

I did find on two other blogs, Projects and Procrastination and Grid based wargaming-but not always, that added retreat rules for OHW that are simple that seem they would work well with the rules. As the Projects and Procrastination rules were for fantasy, I decided to try his rules first.   I decided to use 1 Warmaster base to represent one unit. I put color dots on the base to identify the unit. To keep track of hits, I used a roster instead of on-board markers. Units were marked with red, white and blue dots. This proved a bit confusing as the elf army had both infantry and archers with the same color marking. This lead to me marking the wrong unit taking damage. I was happy with the retreat rules; the elves having 3 units breaking and retreating off the board. The retreat rules made for a more fluid game, which is what I'm looking for.

A couple of moves into the game, with Goblins on left and Elves on right.

Using these rules and a grid board there was more room for maneuvering and flank attacks.


In the end the Elves lost three units, and although they still had a couple of strong units, decided to save what was left of the army.


4 comments:

  1. Great to see your Warmaster figures battling away John.
    When I was playing a lot of OHW I found a simple morale/retreat rule good for mini campaigns where you don't want to wipe out entire armies in one battle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your retreat rules would work well for campaigns. The Elves that retreated were still in fairly good shape, for OHW. As I have said in the past, the main problem I had with OHW was that once engaged, there was little movement on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. I have a fair few Warmaster miniatures that I’ve “repurposed” for other games. I’m 99% a solo gamer, so always on the lookout for ideas I can borrow for my own games 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently picked up some more Warmaster miniatures that I might try to use with these rules.

    ReplyDelete