Sunday, December 3, 2023

New Model Paints

      Sometimes I just go to Ebay and check on certain figures I want, especially if they are figures that could used in current projects. One such figure line is original  Citadel Warmaster Araby Army figures. I came across  a large lot of these figures overseas. The bids were still low enough that I ended up placing a bid on them.

   With 16 minutes to go I was winning the figures. As I was out with the wife shopping, I could not keep a close watch on the bidding, and in the end lost. However, I did see an original Citadel  Undead Starter Army for a reasonable price. The box was open but complete, with many of the pieces primed white. As the Undead in the set are skeletons, I decided to reprime them black, then drybrush them white.

   Most of the paints I use are hobby acrylics from the local big craft stores. The paints are on the thick side and as they get older they get really thick. I had to thin it down with water to cover the figures.

    As I was driving at work the next day listening to Youtube, I decided to see what wargamers used for paints. One name kept coming up; Vallejo Paints. Many years ago while working on a Napoleonic wargame, I bought some paints from the company that I was ordering from. Incredibly almost all those paints are still usable.  That night I went on Amazon. I found a set of Vallejo paints with 16 basic colors for around $26. While listening about painting figures, I found out that there is a particular brush designed for drybrushing. I found a nice set of brushes that include 3 drybrushes. This is my largest purchase of painting supplies expressively for painting miniatures.

 I received  the packages a couple of days ago. I was hoping to try them out this weekend; unfortunately the envelope the brushes came in was crushed,, and the bristles  of the brushes were bent, along with at least one ferrule. One thing I will give Amazon credit for is their return  policy. I immediately went on line to get the problem resolved.  My new brushes are due to arrive  tomorrow (hopefully in a box!) and I can drop the damaged package off and not have to deal with wrapping it all up again.

The Vallejo paint set. 

The container the paintbrushes came in. The bristles were in the crushed part.


4 comments:

  1. Having good paints etc that suit you sure makes things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received my replacement brushes yesterday (in good shape this time). Hopefully I can give the new paints a go tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Vallejo Paints. Glad that your replacement brushes arrived promptly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vallejo seems to be reasonable paints for cheapskates like me. Now to get motivated to start using them.

    ReplyDelete