Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Edmund's Toy Soldiers

      As constantly mentioned, I have a great interest in 19th century American militias. One company that has great selection of American Civil War militia units is Edmund's Toy Soldiers.  They are lovely figures, painted toy soldier style. Unfortunately, they also are out of my price range. However, last week I managed to buy a set at a price I could afford. They are the Sussex Light Dragoons of the Confederate Army. There were two sets for sale: I bidded on both but lost the other set. Unfortunately the seller mixed up the boxes and My Dragoons are in the 83rd PA Volunteer Infantry box.  Still, I finally managed to get a set of Edmund's.




4 comments:

  1. They popped up 2 hours before the auction was over; right before I was going to bed. I bid on 2 lots of Edmund's. I got up the next morning and was pleasantly surprised I actually won any of them. Of course, now a new hunt begins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely figures. I am always fascinated by the scene near the start of Gods and Generals where militia troops march past some in tricorns. I haven’t found out who they were, can you help? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the early days of the Civil War, there were several militia companies on both sides the worn Revolutionary War style uniforms. The Revolutionary War being a "good" war, it was looked back on fondly. Also, the south was fighting for their "rights". I believe at first units from Mississippi turned their hats up as tricornes. I will have to do a little more research after work. If you go to the Edmund's Toy Soldier web page and look under ACW Confederates, I found quickly a unit under Alabama with the title of Continental Guards, and a Virginia unit , the Continental Morgan Guards, wearing AWI style uniforms. Once again, a very colorful period for uniforms!

    ReplyDelete