Wednesday, December 30, 2020

An Unexpected Christmas Gift from Ian Dury

   I took a week's vacation to keep an eye on my wife; this being the first Christmas that she wasn't able to spend with her mother, after her mother's passing. We have been keeping busy cleaning years of junk from the basement. 

   We returned from a dump run, and checking the mail, found a small package from England. As I haven't bought anything from overseas in several months, I was somewhat confused. However, reading the return address found that it was from Ian Dury, who for the last several years always sends me a Christmas card.

   Once inside, I found his Christmas card (by the way, the BEST Christmas card we got this year), and two Peter Laing "coach outriders" from the Queen Victoria's coach.  In my post about buying the lot that I got the coach in, I mentioned that there was two lots that had Peter Laing Victorian Parade figures, but that I  could only afford one. I chose the lot with infantry and bands. It turned out that Ian won the other lot; which is good to know. Ian is one person who seems to know Peter Laing figures and have answered most of my questions about the figures.

   Ian told me that they were figures that he would never use them, as his coach belongs to the Emperor Wilhelm I! I am hoping they will inspire me to get out the Victorian figures and get a game in soon.

   Once again, I wish to thank Ian for his kindness. I wonder how many other hobbies have such generous members.  Hopefully I can  do the same for him, or other members of the hobby.


The coach with the new outriders. By the way, the "new" blog  page generator is terrible, especially for posting the photographs. They never appear in the order I want them in.

The Outriders, generously given to me by Ian. By the way, this was to be the first picture.




6 comments:

  1. What a lovely surprise. Best wishes to you and your wife for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, indeed. Best wishes to you and your family in the coming year.

      Delete
  2. John, thank nyou for the kind words and I am really pleased that you liked the figures - to my mind, they are in their 'rightful' place with the coach that they were designed for

    ReplyDelete
  3. The words don't do justice to your kindness. I am planning on basing the coach for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid looking figures! Hopefully more Peter Laing joy to look forward to in 2021. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still trying to get more gaming in. Perhaps that will be my New Years resolution. A Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete