Friday, July 3, 2020

Old Airfix and Battlescale Terrain

        It seems harder to get any gaming in recently. I have been looking around for some new ideas that might make it possible to get more gaming done. Among the blogs I follow is Numbers, Wargames and Arsing About . I used his Simplicity in Hexes wargame campaign earlier this year and enjoyed the game. He uses a 6x6 hex board for this game, which uses Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargame scenarios for the games.  Using these rules would allow me to use my new Battlescale hex terrain pieces.

    I've also have found myself wanting to use some of my older figures, even if it was for one game. With the Battlescale hexes set up, I decided to use my Airfix Romans and Ancient Britons with No Brain Wargame rules. As the game area was smaller, any figure retreating only retreated one hex instead of two. In the center of the board I put two hill pieces as objectives to be captured. The hills had no effect on the rules, they were simply target  points.  The game was a quick, enjoyable game as I hoped for. Now I am thinking of trying different rules using the 6x6 and Neil Thomas' scenarios.

The two armies deployed.





The Romans capture both hills.

The last two photos of the battle didn't come out. In the end the Romans captured the hills and the Britons strength  fell to under 50%; at this point I called the battle.  I'm happy with the results, and look forward to trying some more games with the Battlescale pieces and old toy soldiers.

8 comments:

  1. Looks a fun game to play, your set up work really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the game was to be a fast game, it worked well. I was going to try Command & Colors for more modern games; however, the ranges would be too great. I will reread Neil Thomas' "Simplicity in Practice" rules.

      Delete
  2. I tried the Simplicity in Hexes again recently - The 6x6 board brings the two armies together almost straight away and makes for a fast game. It clearly works well with Ancients too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As right now I want to fight wargames using the old figures, I am not overly concerned about getting the perfect rules system for the period. As mentioned above, perhaps simple tweaking of "Simplicity in Practice" I the way to go. Another goal is a short, enjoyable game in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see these fellows out in an 'Airfix only' wargame John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully in the next few days more of the old plastics will see the light of day again.

      Delete
  5. Good to see the Airfix Ancient Britons and Romans in action again, John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started working on some revised rules to use with ancients and Medieval figures. Hopefully I can try them soon.

    ReplyDelete