Sunday, June 21, 2020

New Books and New Basing Ideas

   I'm not much for Facebook; however, I do follow quite a few wargame pages, including "The Portable Wargame" page.  Looking at the games played, I finally broke down and ordered the rest of Bob Cordery's  Portable Wargames series (I had the original volume).   Unfortunately they were ordered right as the country started reopening, and UPS was swamped with packages. Based on tracking, my books sat in the local terminal for two weeks, then made it on trucks 4 times, only to be returned to the terminal 3 times! I did finally receive them, although the package looked like it had been through a war, the books were undamaged.

    One thing about each volume is that he introduces new ideas, such as making campaign maps and random terrain placement.  Right away in "The Portable Napoleonic Wargame", for an example of his Brigade Rules, his scenario uses the American War of 1812 for the example of play. As the War of 1812 s one of my favorites, and recently having bought two packs of 2nd generation Minifigs US infantry in felt shakos and coatees, I am now thinking of basing a Brigade of Americans and British.

   In my last post, I mentioned the based Airfix Romans. They were mounted on thin plastic bases, using white glue. When debasing them, it was easy to bend the base, instead of the figure, making separation easy, without damaging the paint job of the figure. This made me think of basing my metal figures with white glue, instead of super glue. Then rebasing figures would be easier; separating metal figures from plastic bases that used super glue is extremely difficult. I did a quick base of Peter Laing ECW in plastic. I am happy with the result and will try basing single figures the same way and see if they would work, too.



The new 2nd generation Minifigs War of 1812 Americans. I got a total of 48 figures.

The newest addition to the wargame library.


The sample base of Peter Laing ECW mounted on a plastic base. No, the hex is not what they are glued to. I put them onto the hex to see how much ground the base covered. If I proceed with basing the ECW figures, perhaps the units will be on larger bases with more figures.

4 comments:

  1. I hope hat you enjoy using the rules in my books.

    I am currently working on editing one that will cover the 17th century ... and after that I may well look at the mid 20th century.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your naval wargame rules and have been thinking of getting my ironclads out soon.
      Looking forward to the 17th century rules. I want to base some ECW armies, and those rules would come in handy. I seem to remember some other blogger made some ECW rules based on Portable Wargames.

      Delete
  2. I've been enjoying playing the Napoleonic PW recently John - well worth a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am either going with the War of 1812, or using some Heritage Prussians I have for one brigade, to fight Napoleons 1814 campaign; one of my personal favorites.

    ReplyDelete