Friday, June 19, 2020

No Brain Roman Wargame

  When I started wargaming some 20 years ago, it gave me an excuse to dig out the thousands of plastic Airfix and Esci figures that I collected over the years. Among the Airfix figures were some Romans. I managed to find a couple more boxes, and started to base them for games. Eventually my interest switched to15mm metals, and the Romans were consigned to storage drawers.

    The other day while looking for some other figures,  I came across the Romans and on a whim, decided to use them for a game. As they were glued to the stands using white glue, they were debased quite easily.  For rules, I decided just to use No Brain Wargame rules. There would be no modifiers for the armor of shields. The goal was to use some nice figures that hadn't seen the light of day in many a year.

One of the Airfix Roman units based.

The unit from the front.

The Romans advanced in checkerboard formation. While in most No Brain Wargames,  I don't put much effort in any kind of maneuvering, in this game the Romans would try to keep some kind of unit cohesion.

The barbarians hit the Romans hard.


Instead of a blow by blow account of the battle, I will just show the pictures taken during it. It was a back in forth battle, where it seemed the battle could have gone either way. I became quite engrossed in it, and the battle lasted longer than expected. 
























In the end the Romans retreated off the field. When I based the Romans 20 years ago, I also based  Airfix Celts to battle the Romans. I am now thinking of taking them off their bases to do battle with the Romans.

6 comments:

  1. It's good to dig out some old figures for a game.
    Looks like you had fun John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of going through more of my old soldiers and trying to use them. They were fun to use again.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see these classic old Airfix figures in action - the Romans work well against The Airfix Indians.

    I hope your debasing and rebasing of the Airfix Ancient Britons goes well. I found when rebasing recently that I had to be very careful and gentle to avoid snapping such old figures off at the ankles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually based these fiqures using white craft glue to thin plastic sheets. Instead of bending the figures, I bent the base itself, so the figures weren't bent too much. I was so impressed by how easy it was to take them off the bases, I tried to glue some Peter Laing figures to the same bases with white glue. I am letting it dry overnight to see the result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see these fellas come out to play, John. Your use of the chess board is inspired (repeating myself, but worth repeating!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always try to keep the chessboard within easy reach for quick games.

    ReplyDelete