Sunday, July 12, 2020

Repainted Battlescale Terrain

  With my recent use of Battlescale terrain, I was disappointed with the paint job on them. The paint stayed glossy, even after it dried. The paint also didn't cover well, soI decided to put a second coat on. I also decided to darken the green.  So with what little time for gaming I had this weekend, it was devoted to painting the terrain. As I  have been using One Hour Wargames scenarios, I  decided to paint some river pieces to use with them.

The newly repainted terrain with a river running through it. I put gloss lacquer on the water, although  you can't tell.



The hills have also been repainted. The hills surely stand out better than I was hoping.


Testing different scale figures on them . Here are some 15mm Minifigs  units . 

Two five stand infantry units, and a three stand Hussar unit.

20mm plastics.

30mm semi flats. 




14 comments:

  1. Like the new darker shade of green and the river pieces, very simple, effective and very flexible for a range of figure scales. Looking forward to seeing more games on these.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking at other blogs and like the simple set ups. That's what I am trying to achieve. At first the size of the hexes were bothersome, but now seeing how well they work with different scales, it might be time to order more.

      Delete
  2. I think that your effort was well worth it. I enjoyed seeing how different figures look upon the hexes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some might need a third coat, but the new green isn't too distracting. I haven't really seen much on Battlescale hexes; I think more gamers should take a look at them.

      Delete
  3. Looks good John and works with a range of figure sizes. I call that a win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really have captured my attention the last week or so. I will leave the table set up with them for now, so hopefully I can squeeze in a few games. Of course, they are not as portable as I would like. I am thinking of making a board with retainers that could be stored upstairs in the spare room.

      Delete
    2. The retainers work really well, I have slotted my hexes into a scrap old light weight picture frame / noticeboard with raised sides to make a hex board. Stops the hexes moving.

      Delete
    3. I always envied your Heroscape set up. That's what has me thinking of the board with the raised sides.

      Delete
  4. The result is a rather attractive battlefield which seems to suit the figures well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now to work on terrain pieces to compliment the hexes.

      Delete
  5. Beaut that the same terrain suits three scales of figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think that it will work well for 10mm. I tried 40mm toy soldiers, but that might have been pushing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those flat soldiers.
    Are they Heyde?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they are a French manufacturer; it's really hard finding information on semi-flat figures. Supposed they are not highly collectable, although when you go to buy them you would think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete