Sunday, April 5, 2020

Laptop Wargaming

         Personal issues have stopped just about all my gaming in the last couple of months. I also started working on an indoor target range,  which I use BB and pellet guns. Also, although the current pandemic have many people losing their jobs, my job is still considered "essential", so I still have a job to go to.
         There have been several wargame projects I have several wargame project I have been trying to get off the ground. Unfortunately, by the time I have free time, I'm too tired to work on them.

         This week I really wanted to get a game in. My wife has been out of work since January with another work injury. Needless to say I am concerned with her health, and try to spend as much time as I can with her, even if it's just watching TV.  I decided that I could use a tray with a chessboard for a  wargame on my laptop desk, which I use when writing out bills at night.  I found some old Battle Cry figures (from the old Milton Bradley game from the 1960's) to use with Chris Salander's Horse & Musket 2.0 rules.  I did get a game in, and decided that for now I will use these "Laptop Wargames" until things go back to normal.

     Last night I brought up my Cigar Box Wargame, and used this in place of the chessboard. Hopefully I can get more games played this week.
The Battle Cry armies deployed. The figures were randomly placed. I bought these loose figures years ago to use with these rules.


One Union unit breaks through the center.





The end of the game. As I didn't set any goals for the battle, it ended a draw, a rather  disappointing result.

Cigar Box Wargame set up. The terrain was placed based on terrain cards drawn randomly. 

The game setup on my lap desk. I put the board on a tray, in case of some disruption,  hopefully the playing pieces won't end up on the floor. The dice box has a foam bottom, so the sound of the dice is muted, so as not to bother my wife.

For this game I used A Stronghold Rebuilt "See the Elephant" rules, except I used Battle Cry dice..





When I use these rules, victory goes to the first army to lose 2/3 of their army, unless  I concede the battle before then.

10 comments:

  1. Nice to see you've had a few games, and good on you for being an essential worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to get more games in this week. Hopefully I will continue to stay on the job.

      Delete
  2. Great lap top set up, hope things get better for you and your household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far my laptop setup is working, although it might need some work on it. Compared to many people, my problems are small.

      Delete
  3. Just the right sort of distraction in these strange times. Keep well and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it's provided a distraction from the news for a short time. By the way, I loved your Peter Laing ACW infantry. Hopefully you and your loved ones are safe.

      Delete
  4. Your cigar box setup looks very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I used it for what I intended to use it for. It might need some work, but in all I'm happy with it.

      Delete
  5. John, brilliantly inventive as ever! Using a chess board as a grid, a great idea. I really like your own, green version though.
    When I first bought some Irregular 2 mm figures I used to quip that it was so I could play a wargame on an aeroplane table. That idea won't 'fly' nowadays, but you have gone ahead and done it anyway! Beat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I first wrote this, I have done some more work on this, thinning out some of theblead and partitioning the storage off.

      Delete