Sunday, December 22, 2019

Plans for Using Peter Laing Ancients

  I have been listening to a podcast, "The Ancient World", which is covering civilizations from the first written accounts to 500BC. They had me thinking of my Peter Laing ancients. Over this weekend I've played several games using No Brain Wargame rules, using several armies and trying some new rules. For now the plan is to stick to the original rules.

     So far the games have had no terrain, but I plan to try  more games with terrain features. I've also dug out a map of Hyboria. My plan is to make up armies for the different regions. Right now my Arab army will be from Alkmeenon, the Sudanese army from Punt, and the Egyptian Army from Stygia. I plan to look through Tony Baths' Hyborian campaign in Battle magazine for suggestions on the makeup of the different region armies.

The last battle fought was my Arab army vs. Normans. The game was advanced by the time I took these photos. Both sides started with 16 spearmen, 8 archers and 1 general.  The Arabs have pushed the Normans back. The Norman general carefully marshaled his archers.

The Arabs hit hard on their left flank. 


The Arab attack pushes back the Norman right.

The Norman archers aim at the Arabs to its front.

They drive back three arabs.


One Arab archer takes aim at the Norman general, but misses.

The Arabs have pushed back the Normans.

The Norman general orders his army to retreat.

8 comments:

  1. Sensible move by the Norman General! A Hyborian Campaign would be a great use for your Ancients John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used the Hyborian world in the past. It saved me having to create my own maps and names of countries.

      Delete
  2. I recall reading Tony Bath's accounts in Battle Magazine. Unfortunately, I missed 3 or 4 issues. But I did see the final play-by-mail campaign. Stirring stuff! It was interesting how the players' characters came out during its course. Charles Grant made a fine blood-thirsty tyrant.

    I'll be looking forward to seeing how your Hyborian world develops.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the complete series that was run in Battle magazine. Unfortunately I believe it continued when Battle magazine merged with another magazine; So I do not have the conclusion of the series.

      Delete
  3. John
    Good to see these fine Laing figures in action. Henry Hyde over at the Battle Games website / podcast is also working on an Ancients campaign partly inspired by Tony Bath and Hyboria which you might find interesting. Worth keeping an eye on his website at https://battlegames.co.uk
    Happy Christmas and best wishes for the Gaming New Year to come. Mark Man of TIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out the Battle Games site. Hopefully I can listen to the podcasts while at work.
      Merry Christmas and I look forward to your future blog posting. I really enjoyed your Boy Scout (and Girl Scout) posts. Sometimes playing with toy soldiers, you forget the real price of war.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great use for the ancients. Terrain can provide some focus for a game and some interesting challenges without needing to be complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While playing No Brain Wargames, so far I haven't missed terrain. However, in the end, the game needs some purpose, besides killing the enemy. Terrain would certainly add to the game.

      Delete