Saturday, December 14, 2019

Ancients No Brain Wargame

       The other day I came across some 10mm Old Glory Romans that I got some 20 years ago. I used  them with Chris Salander's H&M2.0 rules that I doctored for the period. They were in a large lot of Old Glory Napoleonics that someone kindly gave to me.
      My wife went out to dinner with some of her work friends last night, so I decided to use these old veterans for a quick No Brain Wargame.  I used average dice to decide how many squares of figures could move in a turn. I started photographing the action after the forces came together; once again I had no plans to write up this battle.

The blue legion (foreground) is hitting the red legions right flank.

In the upper center of the picture, two red units attack one blue unit. At this point in the battle, the red legion is spread out due to blue attacks.

One red unit has pushed forward of the red line, putting itself in extreme danger.

The blue legion hits the red unit in the flank.

The blue attack on the red unit is disappointing; two stands are forced to retreat. What's more, the flanking blue unit is hit in it's flank by another red unit. This attack did no damage to the blue unit.

The two red units are forced to retreat by the blue army; the red general decided to use his turn consolidating his units instead of pressing his attacks.

It turned out to be a wise move. From the left; the red infantry forces back the blue archers.  The red archers eliminate  the blue stand in front of them. The blue infantry destroys one stand of infantry; unfortunately the blue archers score no hits on the infantry to their front.

At this point the blue legion retreats.

This was one of those games that turned out to be more challenging than expected. I don't know if part of it was using figures that hadn't been used in a very long time. It did inspire me to dig out more of my Old Glory 10mm and has me thinking of putting them to use.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely figures John - they deserve an airing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were some of the first figures that I dry brushed painted. I was so impressed by the result that I bought several lines of the OG 10mm figures.

    ReplyDelete