Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Dark Ages No Brain Wargame

         Personal business hasn't left me much time for gaming. By the time I have some spare time, it's almost time for bed and I don't even have the energy to do any reading. Tonight I went down to try to get something done.  I decided to use my new mobile board. Last post someone asked if I intended to use terrain with this game. For this game I put three hills on the board. Both sides rolled to determine which side of the board they would deploy on. For this game I used my 6mm Irregular Miniatures Dark Ages armies.

     The blue army deployed on the side of the board closest to the hills. They decided to seize the hills, with their Huscarls holding the center hill.  The green army deployed their army with most of their units ready to attack the blue's right flank.

The green army inclines to their left flank.


The blue army starts shifting their army to face the green army.


Two green units attack the blue unit holding the right hill.

A blue unit comes from behind to hit the flank of one green unit...

...and manages to eliminate two stands and force the rest to retreat.

The green huscarls push forward to attack the blue huscarls.

The blue huscarls lose one stand, and two others retreat.

The green attack on the left is putting strain on the blue's right flank. The green huscarls have broken the blue huscarls and push forward.

The blue army pulls one unit back onto the center hill. The blue huscarls counterattack against the green huscarl. another blue unit attacks the green huscarls flank.


Half of the green huscarls are driven back; the green king falls back with them.

The green army presses forward.


One green unit attacks the blue unit that attacked the green huscarls flank. They  lose two stands.

The green army finally takes the left hill.

For this game I used a rule I saw on another blog recently, where two dice are rolled; the highest dice is used for movement points. Unfortunately, blue rolled two "ones", and moved two stands off the hill in support of the huscarls.


The green army consolidates their line.

The green left crushes the blue's right flank.

The situation facing the blue king.


The blue king decides to save what's left of his army.


   

10 comments:

  1. I missed the last post somehow. An excellent idea.

    I'd have probably gone for small 15mm units but if you've got the 6mm's then why not use them?.

    I haven't had "need" of a portable family room game for the last few years but when I did, I was lucky enough to have room for my Mom's old cardtable by the window in ours and thus room for a 30" square gridded board which I used with 20mm plastics in small units of 2-4 figures.

    Once the game was going my imagination turned it into a full sized engagement as good as any other. Here's one example:
    eg Nine Years War

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had time to work on the hobby due to personal matters. This game was just to get away from problems for a brief period, which worked. I have several ideas in my mind, which hopefully I can work on soon.

      Delete
  2. Sensible retreat by the Blue King! I can imagine this being the opening battle in a nice campaign. Once Blue has rebuilt his army he'll be looking for revenge.
    The new board looks good with these small figures John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the game, I started thinking of a narrative campaign using these armies, much like your Nano Campaign. I also started looking at possibly expanding these armies with different units. I do like the looks of these figures on the board.

      Delete
  3. Proof that your small portable board tray gives you quick and easy instant gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I'm thinking of is dividing different figures into small boxes where I could simply grab one box and know I have enough figures for a quicky wargame. These armies are in a small plastic container that easily fits into my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this small Games box and thought of your clever portable board https://thedeathzap.wordpress.com/2019/11/24/the-small-and-mysterious-box-tiny-tostig/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like that set up. I have been thinking of trying some skirmish games after seeing your Close War games and Projects and Procrastinations skirmish games. It would be nice to have movable walls so you could change the rooms between games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Movable slot walls is an excellent idea.
    I know that you tried out the cluttered terrain Close Wars rules a year or two back. Skirmish games with 1:1 figures are great simple fun as you can do a new period almost with a box or two of Airfix etc.
    I'm not sure what rules versions (of Close Wars, Portable War Game etc) Maudlin Jack Tar / Projects and Procrastinations use but I do like his vintage Airfix / plastic approach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have recently been bringing out my Caeser Miniatures plastic skeletons and painting a couple of them. I really liked these figures and have used them in games that I don't report on. I use them with Airfix Robin Hood figures. With a 4 day weekend coming up, perhaps I will try to use them for a game or two.

    ReplyDelete