Saturday, November 2, 2019

Mobile No Brain Wargame

  After thinking about my wargaming recently, I believe part of the problem is working in a dank cellar with no natural light. Also, time is limited and most of my free time is in the evening. By then, it's time to spend with my wife. I started thinking of using the Cigar Box Wargame and tray table to have games. However, one concern is my dog, who sometimes chooses to sit in my lap at night. One possible idea is a tray with sides so if the table is rattled,  the playing pieces hopefully would not scatter across the floor.

  I decided to use a tray that I use to work on figures. When gridded off with 1 inch squares, the board came out to 9x 13; coincidentally, Command & Colors boards have 9x13 hex boards. This has me thinking of using scenarios from C&C games.

   I also figure that I can set up games in the bedroom under the window looking out our back yard where there is good natural light.  Today I had some spare time to get a game in with the new board. I decided to use No Brain Wargames with my 6mm Irregular Miniatures. It was good getting a game in and and was a quick setup, which is what I'm looking for.

The tray set up for battle. Two Irregular Dark Ages armies in action.

The table set up under the window.

The Blue army  pushes back the Green army.

The Green Huscarls break through the Blue's center.

A Blue unit swings behind the Green Huscarls...

....and the Blue forces crush the Huscarl between them and eliminates them.

The Green army reconsolidates their line.



The Blue army turns the Greens right flank.

The Green army realizes to try to continue the battle would only end in it's destruction, and wisely retreats.

The entire game ready to move.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am already thinking of making larger boards to use with larger figures.

      Delete
  2. Looks like an effective solution you have there. Do you have any plans to add terrain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be using the 2mm terrain pieces with this. I plan to sort through my 2mm figures and have an assortment to use with this board.

      Delete
  3. Nice tidy system John.
    Natural light is certainly lacking at this time of year - I find I need to get as much as possible for my own mental well-being!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I usually play games in the afternoon, this particular window gets the setting sun, and as there's woods behind my house, it is a peaceful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have a portable gridded gaming board, John - that's what I use at home and often move it around the house to get good natural light. My painting corner and table are sadly not in good natural light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With limited space, portable boards are a must. This summer painting outside on the deck was a pleasant experience.It did take some planning to limit the paints that had to be moved though. I have started looking for a folding table that I can leave in the bedroom. I can see that space being used for painting, too.

      Delete
  6. Creative, clever and compact! I have found my 'Command and colours' (actually 'Memoir '44') type of board adaptable to my DBM-based mediaeval (Byzantine, Bulgar and Abasgian) armies, using Bob Cordery's 'Portable Wargames' rule sets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I like using the blocks for wargaming, I miss using my toy soldiers. Perhaps basing some of my Peter Laings and using rosters would work with this board. I have started reading other blogs who use grids for their games for more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear
    I need electronic version of "The War for a Persian Lady" book, could you please help me?
    https://wargamehermit.blogspot.com/2013/08/battle-maps-of-persian-war-of-1856.html
    Please reply to my email.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have searched for an electronic version of the book, with no luck. It was also published under the title "John Company's Last War": again I had no success finding in electronic format. I suggest that copies of this book are cheap enough to buy a paper version.

    ReplyDelete