Sunday, September 8, 2019

One Project Actually Completed

   Before leaving for camping, while researching militia uniforms, I came across a Sotheby's catalog for an auction of a militia collection. I did find several copies of it on Ebay, but waited until we got back from vacation to buy one.  For me it was money well spent.

     I also made a mold of a converted Zinnbrigade figure. The figure itself came out usable; however the musket would not cast, no matter what I tried. In the end I used toothpicks for muskets.

  After two weeks, I still haven't decided on what to do for a project. However, while looking for War of 1812 wargame ideas, I came across The Perfect Captain website. This website have many free rules sets. All they ask is for a donation to one of the different charities they support (they use the honor system). The one set of rules that caught my eye was "Battle Finder". It is a set of rules for campaigns. It also comes with 64 maps for the campaign system. I did print out the rules and maps.
   I was trying to figure out how to mount the maps while eating a bowl of cereal.  I figured cardboard would be too thick. However it dawned on me that the thin cardboard the cereal came in might be the answer.
    This morning I took a glue stick, maps and cereal box into the basement. After covering the printed side with the glue, I placed the paper with the maps into the cardboard. I then used a paper cutter I have to cut out the maps. I am happy with the result; what's more they fit into a box that some recently bought toy soldiers came in. By the way, after reading about the disaster in the Bahamas from the direct hit from Hurricane Dorian, I donated to the Red Cross/Red Crescent.

The Sotheby's catalog.

Tombstone plates, which would be tied to a militiaman's hat.


Militia shakos.
The Zinnbrigade conversions, with a left lower arm added and the head from "the Brave Tin Soldier" Prince August mold. The light blue clad figure is aSAE ACW figure painted as a 1st Massachusetts militiaman. The next is a Prince August British infantryman painted as a War of 1812 US infantryman. The last two are Minifigs militiamen.


Some of the "Perfect Captain" maps. The brown card is the cardboard backing.

The box which I plan to store them in.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting catalogue and card system. I am really looking forward to seeing your figure collection for this period grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to find figures that will work for 1830s-1850s militia are hard to come by. For now I will continue to look at various manufacturers and scales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great source of information, those auction catalogues and beautifully photographed. Best wishes for your figures search and conversions. Mark Man of TIN

    ReplyDelete