Saturday, September 21, 2019

New Frontier American 1812 Figures

        A few days before my discovery mentioned in the last post, I bought a rather large collection of 15mm Frontier War of 1812 miniatures. The main reason I purchased it is I thought it had  a few figures that I have been looking for. I did spend more than normal, but finding such a collection of 1812 Americans is a rarity.
       One reason I wanted these figures were to paint some of them as 1820's-1830's volunteer militia companies, possibly to be used in an imagi-nation wargame campaign. I started painting one unit the same day I received them, as there is some primer on most of the figures. I also wanted to try some new acrylic paints, artist in the tube type. I like the tube paint as it tends to cover the figures better; however, the colors are much darker than the label shows. They also seem to dry a little darker. Perhaps it is that I bought a very cheap set, not wanting to invest $30 in paints.

   As I was finishing up the figures I also realized that the figures were not the same ones  I was looking for. The shako is shorter and these figures have a canteen and haversack: the figure I was looking for only has a bayonet sheath. Still, I still plan to move forward with the militia plan. That would give me 9- 4 man units.

  In the end, I am thinking of another project, using these figures for War of1812 skirmish games.

On the left are command figures and soldiers in overcoats. On the right are Riflemen.




These are Marine figures.

I believe the figures on the left might be British, as they have wings in their shoulders. The figures on the right are lovely American sappers with aprons! I have to figure a way to use these figures.

Another shot of the sappers.

Various command figures, including 2 Minifigs officers.

The main reason I bought this lot. 36 infantry advancing.

The new figure painted on the left, the original figure that I was looking for.

Close up of the difference in the figures. I didn't notice until looking at this picture that the left figure also is more animated than the right figure.

The front of the figures. These two figures are more my style; these isn't too much detail in these figures. The rest of the Frontier figures are the same height as these figures, but much more stocky with more detail.

2 comments:

  1. Frontier are the only chunky figures I really liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't decided how I feel about them. However,"Old School" War of 1812 figures are hard to come by. And I really like the looks of the riflemen.

    ReplyDelete