Sunday, April 7, 2019

Scruby 12/15mm Seven Years War Figures

      When I first got into wargaming 20 years ago, I had read both "The War-game" by Charles Grant and "Charge!"  by Peter Young and J.P. Lawford. Of course, I then wanted to form SYW armies. Among the figures I was checking out were Jack Scruby recasts in 15mm.  In the end I went with 1/72 plastics.

     During one of my Ebay searches a large lot of Scruby SYW recasts popped up. It was a "Buy it Now" sale, and for the amount of figures, a very good price. I spent several hours going back and forth on wether to purchase it (I was really hoping one of the other people watching would buy them).   In the end I bought them and received them this week. This is one of those, "project for another day" purchases.

   The amount of figures according to the seller is: 400 infantry, 100 grenadiers, 60 flag bearers, 60 sergeants, 50 drummers, 50 light infantry, 50 cuirassiers, 50 dragoons, 50 hussars, 18 cannon, 50 gunners.   The seller referred to them as 12mm/15mm. They are on the small size; however I really didn't compare them to any other figures yet.

Some painted samples of the Scruby figures. The lot came with some painted figures  of cavalry, infantry, and artillery.  I also got a rather sizable pile of MDF stands. 



Unfortunately the photos are out of focus. They are nice generic figures. It looks like the collection was a project that never got off the ground. Hopefully I will have better luck with them.

8 comments:

  1. These are great, l am syyou will have lots of fun games with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily right now I have avoided the temptation to give them a close look. I have already been distracted from my 15mm Napoleonic project.

      Delete
  2. What a great find and a nice balance of foot, horse and gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are indeed. I switched to a new project this weekend. Perhaps when I complete these figures I will do a size comparison to other figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect these may the range sold as N gauge. If so Historifigs sells them if you need to add a few odds and ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you are correct, they look smaller than the 1st generation Minifigs. I am wondering how they compare to Peter Laing Marlbough figures. Hopefully I have enough for any project I might start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great haul!
    I have been thinking about some Scruby N gauge recasts for an ECW project I keep promising myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first glance I like the looks of them. The are "shiny" metal. From my casting experience, shiny metal doesn't have much bend to them. I was thinking of bending the cavalrymen arms, but fear they will just break. For now they will be set aside for another day. If the ECW figures are the same, they could be promising. The SYW figures are generic with not too much detailing, so they should paint up quickly.

    ReplyDelete