![]() |
| The Roman Army approaches the Barbarian army. The Roman's have 2 light infantry units and 13 heavy infantry units |
![]() |
| The Barbarians have 9 light units and 10 heavy units. The Barbarian general deploys 5 units of archers and singers in front, with 2 light infantry on each flank. |
![]() |
| The Barbarians charge forward with the archers taking several Roman archers. |
![]() |
| The Romans, realizing that they must close fast, charge into the Barbarians. |
![]() |
| The Barbarians use their light infantry to bleed the Roman's strength. |
![]() |
| On the Roman right, they break through the Barbarian line... |
![]() |
| Only to face 3 units of Barbarian heavy infantry. |
![]() |
| The Battle from above. Every time the Roman's broke the line, the Barbarians had a heavy unit to meet them. |
![]() |
| Both sides pulled back to regroup. The Roman's only had 26 men left; the Barbarians 40, including 2 unused heavy infantry units. |
![]() |
| The Roman's have enough to form 4 units; the Barbarians have enough for 6 units. The Romans admit defeat. |










Looks like you had terrific fun.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
It was a fun game. It has been months since the last game I played. Simple rules without overthinking everything.
DeleteExcellent fun John!
ReplyDeleteIt was indeed. Now to keep the momentum going.
DeleteNow, that's war gaming with protein!
ReplyDeleteIt puts me in mind of a version of 'Le Mort d'Arthur', its final battle that I read at age about eleven - the Battle of Camlann. The tale ran that the battle was fought well into the afternoon, with a huge bloodletting - one hundred thousand dead, and one hundred thousand wounded.
As the sun dipped towards the horizon, there were but a handful of survivors. Mordred was (apparently) the sole survivor on his side - for a few minutes. Arthur lived a little longer, he and Mordred mortally wounding each other in the final duel.
The image that description left with me has remained as a picture of mediaeval romance - a land and a past far removed from our own place and time: a tale of conquest, of vengeance, or of resistance to imperialist attack. This battle here could have been the denouement of such a vast story - or, withal, maybe the beginning.
Great stuff! Great story.
Cheers,
Ion
With this game I didn't let my usual thinking cloud my enjoyment of this game. With this game, as the Romans losses piled up, the Centurions would join the battle where needed. This game has me thinking when I was a kid playing with my Atlantic Greeks and Trojans. I would dice each individual combat with modifiers based on armor (not that I understood modifiers at that time). I might have to dig my Atlantic figures out again...
DeleteGood to see these classic Airfix figures in action.
ReplyDeleteI came across them while cleaning the cellar and had cleaned my wargame table off, so it seemed a good time to get a game in.
DeleteAre these actually ancient Airfix figures (I recall playing with my Airfix Romans when I was a young child, maybe 55+ years ago) or their more recent releases? TBH my Roman chariot used to whizz around the battlefield long before I learnt the Romans didn’t use ‘em in battle. Oh well - I enjoyed it anyway.
ReplyDeleteDid your Romans actually “admit defeat” or did the commander merely decide to make a strategic withdrawal? 😉
Nicely done anyway ⚔️⚔️
Cheers,
Geoff
I only had a few of my original Roman's from the 70s, the rest were later recast. Unfortunately I didn't find any of the chariots, otherwise they would have been zipping around the battlefield. I really just set it up as I would when I was a kid.
DeleteWhen both sides withdrew to catch their breath and reorganize, the Roman commander saw that the Barbarians still had 2 heavy units that he hadn't committed yet. The Roman commander decided for a strategic withdrawal. At least that's what he's telling the Senate.
A marvellous, classic game John with two of the most iconic sets from Airfix. Originals, or are they this year's re-released versions?
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
There are a few orginial Romans, 3 or 4 (I'll have to check when I get back from vvacation.The rest were recast from I believe either late 1990s-early 2000s. One reason I dug them out after seeing the new reissues.
ReplyDeleteAlways a pleasure to those miniatures on the table!
ReplyDeleteI guess everyone is aware of which rules system you are using, but not me... at least I didn't see it.... might of course not have looked in the right place... looks teriffic in effect, anyway!
Sorry, I usually try to mention what rules are used. I used rules found on the Junior General website. I used a set that was used for the Roman Civil War. The rules were designed for use for junior high-school kids to play out historical battles. I try to keep my rules simple, something even I can figure out.
ReplyDelete