Thursday, November 2, 2023

Song of Drums and Tomahawks

    I keep looking for a wargame to jumpstart my interest in the hobby.  As usual I listen to Youtube on the job. I came across a wargame being played on the King Philip's War, which was fought mainly in Massachusetts in 1676. Living in Massachusetts, this war has been of interest to me. The rules used were " Song of Drums and Tomahawks" based on Andrea Sfiligoi's "Song of Blades and Heroes" wargame rules. 

  I do remember when they first came out. I almost bought them, because they also had supplemental scenarios for the Pequot and Beaver wars. I actually  got so excited for these rules that I also bought the Pequot War and Beaver Wars, Song of Blades and Heroes, and Fear and Faith rulesets.

What's more, I finally managed to play a game. Besides the usual mistakes when first starting play a new ruleset, by the end of the game I think I had the basics down. 


Word comes out of an Indian warband in the woods. Captain Smith leads a band of militia to drive the Indians off.

The indians try to flank the militia. Both sides exchange shots.


One brave engages two of the militiamen. For most of the game, the brave kept these two militiamen from helping their comrades. 

The two militiamen finally put down the brave.


The warband leader, seeing the brave go down, starts charging towards the two militiamen. One militiaman takes a shot, and luckily hits him.

At this point, the Indians have dropped  below over 50%, so the Indians have to roll for morale. One retreats off the board, the second follows the other.


8 comments:

  1. Great to see you back gaming John! Are these 15mm figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to get a game in. The figures are 15mm, the militia are Minifigs. The Indians I'm not sure of the manufacturer.

      Delete
  2. Good to see a small forest Skirmish drama with a handful of figures.

    You might like a recent Robert Harris fiction historical thriller based in Britain and colonial America in this period called Act of Oblivion. https://manoftinblogtwo.wordpress.com/2023/06/17/act-of-oblivion-by-robert-harris-book-review/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought maybe skirmish games might get me gaming again. Time will tell.
      I will havevto check out the recommended reading. I have been trying to find something to read, but haven't found anything I can get into.

      Delete
  3. I like these rules and have also played Fear and faith. A Fistful of Lead is also a good small skirmish game and plays well solo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to trying out Fear and Faith, maybe using my Famous Monsters miniatures for the game. I will have to look into A Fistful of Lead. I believe I watched a video on the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A neat skirmish game. Play a couple of those and you will have a small campaign going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These rules would be good for a mini campaign. In the back of the book they give profiles for the characters from " Last of the Mohicans". I could see playing out a campaign based on the book.

      Delete