Friday, May 6, 2022

Using Mike Lambo Wargame Scenarios with Other Rules

      While playing wargames using Mike Lambo solitaire games, I started to think if the scenarios could be used with other rules.  I am thinking along the lines of a hybrid game, where using certain rules in his game would be used, but once contact with the enemy was made, different combat rules would be used. Alternatively, perhaps one Mike Lambo game could be turned into a simple campaign, where contact with the enemy would be shifted to a board, to be played out using other rules. 

    With this, I did use some of Battlescale hexes to set up the first scenario in "The Fields of Normandy". Below is a couple of shots of the setup.  I also saw on a Facebook group I follow someone using Horoscape hexes to lay out a battlefield, using different color hexes to represent different terrain features.

    All in all, if nothing else, Mr Lambo series on solitaire wargames has me playing wargames again ( 8 since I received his games) and thinking of different uses for his games.

The first scenario in. "The fields of Normandy", with the Battlescape battlefield laid out. 

In this scenario, two British infantry squads must locate and destroy an unknown German unit.  The two upper figures are where the unknown German unit is. In the game, it could be either a light or heavy machine-gun.

6 comments:

  1. Nice ideas John - I like fighting scenarios with different rule sets too, especially the OHW scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some ideas that I have to write down. I was thinking of using OHW army lists for the unknown enemy armies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John - I have been following your series of post on 'Mike Lambo' games with great interest as I have spent a lot of time recently to work out how to create realistic 'programmed' actions for the opponent in a solitaire game

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian, I just got Mr Lambos' newest book " The Race to Bastogne" which has some new ideas on how the AI forces move about the battlefield. My plan is to reread the rules and try to get a game in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can get a post up about how the enemy forces move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got some of his books after reading your posts. Interesting and above all, achievable! Also thinking / overthink other rules / scenarios OHW and Ambush Alley. Thank you for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot of possibilities using Mr. Lambos' rules. I have thought of using the concept for a campaign, where every unit represents a brigade. When coming in contact with an enemy marker, it could be a strong enemy force, weak unit, or no unit at all. When coming in contact with the enemy, the battle would be transferred onto a tabletop and fought out as a regular wargame. I have also seen on a Facebook group someone has written his own rules based on Mr. Lambos rules for American Civil War naval combat. I downloaded the rules but haven't read them yet. I am happy that my little blog might have introduced you to these interesting rules.

    ReplyDelete