Saturday, April 9, 2022

New Homecasting

    A little over a month ago I purchased an old metal toy soldier mold. It was a three figure mold of Prussian SYW fusiliers. I have never seen this mold, but the figures were quite handsome. I placed a bid, which was successful. Unfortunately, the day it was delivered I had come down with a bad cold, which in turn became bronchitis. What's more, I became so dehydrated that my gout flared up in both my legs, leaving me barely able to walk for 3 weeks. However, the miracle of modern medicine got me back on my feet and back to work.

   My poor wife, after being my personal nurse for four weeks, was invited to a birthday party, with the added bonus that she got to get away from her problem patient. I decided to try the mold out.

    I was surprised that I got some useful figures, as the metal in the pot was low and tends to be contaminated at the end.  The figures themself seem to be about 45mm tall. If they could be molded properly they would be great figures. For me, the mold was bought a a whim and how much use it will get is anyone's guess.


The mold

The completed casting. I had a 50% success rate; although  the  the bayonets didn't come out and the pigtails broke off (due to my clumsy handling).


One of the casting compared to a Prince August 40mm grenadier. I measured the fusilier using a ruler, and it came out to roughly 45mm to where the top of his head would be.


4 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better and moving forward.
    The figures have turned out well . I look forward to seeing them painted…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy with the figures. The have been mounted and primed for painting.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to read of your health problems John
    The figures turned out well - enjoy painting them

    ReplyDelete
  3. My next task is to pick which regiment they are going to join. Hopefully they will get completed.

    ReplyDelete