Monday, November 20, 2017

Work on a New Peter Laing "Little Wars" Army

     When I started looking for Peter Laing figures, my main goal was to get as many Victorian Parade figures as I could. I have managed to get a few of them. I will admit, that I was a little disappointed with the line. I was hoping the cavalry would be mounted on the early "ponies". I believe this line was a later line and Mr. Laing was getting the horses more to scale. Also, the marching infantry in home service helmet was another disappointment. The helmet just doesn't look right.  I was really looking for that early toy soldier "Britains" look.
The new home service Peter Laing figures, after having their washers removed.


Mounted on their new plastic square stands.



A column with the artillery in the lead.



    Today I started to do some work on my British Boer War figures; removing the figures from the washers and remounting them on square stands.  While working on them, I pulled out some of the marching British painted for the Zulu War. Four figures I painted the helmets as home service helmets. Although they don't have the spike on top, I had put a dot of brass paint where the spike should be. With my increasingly bad eyesight, they actually didn't look bad. before I knew it, I had started repainting 16 figures for "home service", with the goal of having my games resemble as best as possible, "Littles Wars". Looking at "Little Wars", the margin sketches have several pictures of Royal Horse Artillery in dress uniforms. I have some beautifully painted PL Crimean War RHA and British Crimean War cavalry which will work perfectly with this project.

15 comments:

  1. I recall years and years ago a series of articles in Battle Magazine, by Stuart Asquith, I think, on organising WW1 armies. The figures he used were Peter laing 15mm I believe. I was very tempted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was that article that actually started my search for Peter Laing figures. While disappointed with the Victorian figures, I still keep searching for them.

      Delete
  2. They all look very smart. Is there a specific reason for the change of base?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy with the start. I am going to do more detailing on these figures than I usually do, such as belts and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I changed the bases because the round washers tend to be slippery in Heroscape terrain and the figures tip over more than I like. I also want to copy Man of Tin blog's system of marking units on the bottom of the base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look! (surprise surprise) I would probably have just painted the helmets with to go with the red coat but its surprising what a dab of of brass can do, they immediately give the impression of a home service helmet. Any physical spike would be bound to be oversized anyway.

    Love the RHA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fact that they are marching at slope arms also hides the lack of spikes. Hopefully a coat of gloss lacquer will really give them a toy soldier look.
      The RHA figures haven't seen nearly enough action.

      Delete
  6. Good looking figures with the look of Britain's and Little Wars. Hope your rebasing goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting some of the figures off the washers have been difficult; I do hope I don't change my mind about the plastic squares.

      Delete
  7. If you'd care to give me an address to post to I have some Peter Laing parade figures looking for a new war to take part in . 32 guards 32 highlanders , half painted I'll happily post them off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you'd care to give me an address to post to I have some Peter Laing parade figures looking for a new war to take part in . 32 guards 32 highlanders , half painted I'll happily post them off to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the double message I'm kind of new to this whole computer thing and had to wait till my son came home to explained what I'd done wrong!

      Delete
  9. Derek, Thank you for you kind offer. If you could contact me by email, I would appreciate it. No worries about the double posting; I have been using computers for 20 years and still can't find my way around them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Peter Laing figures are individually based. A big part of basing them singly is that I don't have enough figures for multiple figures on the bases. Also, with the small space I have for wargaming right now, large based units would take up too much space. Several years ago I did do a game based on Hook's Farm, using Heroscape and Peter Laing figures. Perhaps I should look at replaying that famous battle, though.

    ReplyDelete