Monday, March 7, 2016

An Answer to a Question and a New Regiment

          Last post I questioned about the rules used in "CALLAN; ACT OF KINDNESS". Bob Cordery of Wargaming Miscellany fame, found the answer. His answer is DISCOVERING WARGAMES by John Tunstill. As I don't have a copy of this book, a quick visit to Amazon solved that problem.

         I decided to try out a sample regiment with 18 figures, as mentioned in the last post. While happy with the looks of it, I think I might wait for my new book before taking the plunge of basing more.

The regiment in line. 



The regiment forms square. 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I spent quite a bit of time setting up 12 men and 18 men; in the end the 18 men units just looked right. The next step is to set up a cavalry unit.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I dug out my old copy of Discovering Wargames with its pages falling out. The suggested ratio is 1:33. I look forward to seeing how your project progresses with the models and rules. Regards, Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know. Using that ratio my French battalion is short about 120 men. I will say that I have never really concerned myself with such things as ground scale and troop size ratios. I play wargames, with "game" being the key word. I like playing with toy soldiers; playing wargames just makes it look like an "adult" game. I will wait to see these rules before basing any more units, though.

      Delete
  3. Regardless of your decision and rules, the 18 do look good. I've long found it a good compromise size, just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figure with six base units, they can be used for different games, such as Battle Cry.

    ReplyDelete