Tuesday, May 23, 2023

No Brain Wargame to Battle Doldrums

       The last few months I have been looking at different wargame rules and campaigns, each one more involved than the last. Every time I tried to get a game going, the complicated rules and limited time would frustrate me and I would give up on the project, only to start the process all over again. About a month ago I took a break from wargaming, until last week. I decided to play a No Brain wargame using my Zulus. In the end the White Shield tribe beat the Brown Shields.

  After the game I  remembered an article in Lone Warrior about a simple campaign rule idea where each side gets so many coins, and roll to decide how many coins they are playing for. Just for fun I rolled for both tribes. The Brown Shields rolled a 4, the White Shields 1. I imaged the tribes were fighting over cattle (cattle being the source of wealth with the Zulu) and the Brown Shields lost 4 head of cattle. 

   I started thinking more of a simple narrative campaign, going so far as coming up with tribal names and the reason for their battles. I even looked up how much beef 4 cattle would provide: at between 1600 to 2000 pounds of beef, to me it would be worth fighting for.


The two tribes close for battle.



The Brown shields fall back and lose 4 head of  cattle.


5 comments:

  1. It is always surprising how a narrative, however short or in depth, adds to the enjoyment of a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about a simple campaign for this game occupied my thoughts for a work day while driving between stops. Right there the game was a success for me.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to hearing more…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will probably do a small follow up on the narrative in the next couple of days, even if I don't get another game in for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete