Monday, January 20, 2020

Zulu War Battle

  Although I haven't posted recently, I have got quite a few games in of No Brain Wargames. It has given me an excuse to bring out different Peter Laing figures, and try out some ideas on expanding the rules.

    My wife went to Tennessee with a friend to visit an old high school friend. While she's away, I have watched several movies that I haven't seen in awhile. I did watch "Zulu", which inspired me to play a couple of wargames using Peter Laing figures. I used for rules a set from "Battle Game of the Month", Colonial Tabletop Teaser Battlecry. For the game I used my small squared off board and regular dice instead of Battlecry dice. I just really wanted to see how the rules would work. Needless to say using an 8 X 8 board that fighting started quickly. I thought the game would be bloody using Battle Cry dice, so I went with D6; 6= kill and 5= retreat.

I started photographing the battle late in the game. The Zulus have pushed the British back to the rivers edge. The British commander has just been killed. He single handedly held off one Zulu group for several turns before being killed.


The British counterattack and gives themselves some space.

One Zulu. unit swings behind a British unit, cutting off its'  retreat.

The Zulus isolate one unit.

The British try disparately to link up and consolidate the line.

However, a lucky dice roll gives the Zulus the initiative and they once again isolate the British right unit.

The Zulus finally eliminate the rightmost unit, and are closing in to encircle the left unit.

The British make a mad dash for the river.  After this battle I did play a game with the British in a Rouke's Drift  type of setting. At first it seemed like they would hold the position, but the Zulus started infiltrating the line, and eventually carried the post.  

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear, a bad day for the Colonials!
    The Zulus are nice little figures John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Zulus are one of my largest armies, and possibly the most victorious.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! There will be upset civilians when the morning papers come out!

    These are nice little figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is going to be a lot of bad news, as in three games the Zulus have been victorious!
    I am thinking of repainting the British . The figures deserve better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see these Peter Laing figures in action, John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been playing several games using different Peter Laing figures that I haven't used in a long time. I've also started rebasing them.

    ReplyDelete