Saturday, May 26, 2018

Thoughts on a "Chessboard Campaign"

Besides shipping  another 6 pounds of  figures out and having a quick wargame,  little has been done with the hobby, until last night.

I woke up in the middle of the night. Sometimes I get the strangest thoughts when I wake like this.  I started thinking of a "Chessboard Campaign". For this campaign I would use simple rules such as  Chris Salander's Horse & Musket 2.0 rules. With his rules there is a headquarters on the base line of each side; the goal being capturing the HQ. In most of my games, one side is usually destroyed before it comes to that.  My thought is to have the first side to lose 50% of their forces forced to retreat one square backwards; that would end the day. Next day both sides would be back to full strength, and the battle would start anew where the battle line ended the day before.  First side to capture the HQ would win the game. Of course, I have started thinking  of variants on these rules, such as each side would only get a percentage of their forces back every game. Also, the possibility of having several villages on each side, which would be goals for each
side to capture.

This being Memorial Day weekend, I'm hoping to get a game or two in using the campaign idea.
One of the readers to receive some of the plastic toy soldiers sent me this picture of some of them in action.  It 's good to see them in action again.  

1 comment:

  1. Stu Rat, I do agree that losses should be considered in a campaign game. However, with my limited time I'm trying to get some games in without complicating it right now. This game is to keep it as simple as possible. If you look under "Campaign" on the side bar, I played a game that had armies of 6 units, with 3 units in reserve. As units suffered losses, they could draw reinforcements from the reserves or use a full unit from the reserves. I did roll to see how many units would return to the army after a battle, the victors needed to roll 4,5 or 6 to have units return, the loser needing a 5 or 6.

    ReplyDelete