Sunday, September 3, 2017

Gaming with My Tile Board & 2mm Blocks

      All week I had been planning  my gaming for Saturday. I was either  going to continue working on an AWI game using my 1st generation Minifigs or a Memoir 44 Vietnam game. Alas, by the time I sat down to start gaming, I had little time to get started with setting up the planned game.  So I pulled out my new square tile board and 2mm armies. Terrain was randomly placed and the armies deployed. These figures and board make setting up a game simple and fast.

     While playing this game, I started thinking of using the 2mm blocks as generic armies that would represent any time period between ancients to Horse & Musket. Using Battlelore as a basis, flags would be painted green for light troops, blue for medium troops, and red for heavy troops.  Militia and other weak units would only have three stands for infantry and two for cavalry. Elite units would have five units for infantry and four for cavalry. After my first game, I quickly painted some light units using this idea. The armies rolled using Neil Thomas' army charts; I used the ancients chart. Skirmisher units counted as light cavalry. The armies were made with light and medium troops only.  The game was enjoyable enough for me to continue to work on developing the generic armies.



The first game; an ACW game. I started taking pictures near the end of the game.


The Union forces are outflanking the rebel line.



An ancient game using Battlelore movement and dice. The red army have their light troops on the left.

The light cavalry of both sides engaged on the right.




The blue army starts pushing back the red army's center.

The red army tries to divide the blue's center.

The blue army stabilizes their center.





The red army starts turning the blue army's left flank.


The blue light cavalry drives off the red light cavalry off the field. The blue cavalry hits the red light infantry.....


.....and destroys that unit. The red army is now at 50% strength and must retreat.

I hope with the coming of cool weather I will start working with some of my Peter Laing figures. If not,  my 2mm blocks will hopefully keep me gaming. Only time will tell.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts John. I must admit, that I seem to be drifting towards a generic ancient or generic horse & musket approach myself. A generic 'modern' approach may take a bit more thinking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started thinking of buying more 2mm armies to use. However, I think by painting the flags to represent different units instead of buying more figures that I might use once or twice makes more sense. I did buy some Axis &Allies tanks and APCs to use in a game, that I was going to paint two different colors for modern warfare. Perhaps I will try to set up a game with those.

      Delete
  2. nicely presented and something different, which I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. I would like to work more on scenery for my 2mm battles.I find the 2mm blocks gives a good impression of the battlefield being a large field.

      Delete